Tough Question - Transparent Solid Hatch?

johnshar123xx

AutoCAD 2008

1.) Does anyone know if there is a way in AutoCAD to create a transparent solid hatch? At this time the only way I can get a similar effect is to create a dot hatch.

I thank everyone for taking the time to read my questions, and putting the effort to possibly answering them.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomharrison

• f700es

• hazardman

• GhostRider

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. Not really.

I do get a transparent effect with a solid hatch on color 9, but it is likely due to a quirk with the printer driver and is not intentional.

Try messing with lighter colors and/or your pen table screening values to see what result you get. Otherwise, you have to use another hatch pattern (dot, etc.) OR use draw order to place your hatch beneath other objects you want to see.

On my wish list for some time. I want layer transparency! I want it just like Adobe Illustrator. I want to see it on the screen and I don't want some plot hack to do it either. Alas, I don't think you can do it other than some plot setting.

Tom, was that done in Illustrator?

No its done in autocad using out of the box settings no hacks etc and it appears pretty much like that on the autocad screen. I use it for shadows and stuff hope this helps.

Well Tom, you have my attention :)

Can you give us a step by step? That's exactly what I want to use it for. Shadows, glass and I also want to be able to use it on gradient fills. Can this be done?

Thanks for the info.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious too, how it was done and how difficult it would be, just now took the time to try it to see if I could get the same effect.

A bit of a PITA, create the hatch area's imagining where the shadows would be, send them to the back and set them to a color in the pen table, lightend up in the true color to be a shade than a solid... I'll use it on ones I want more detailed, but to much trouble for everyday, unless someone knows a better way....

in the *.ctb file choose a pen colour and set the screening to other then 100...100=black 0=white all in between is % of grey...for shadows 30-50% screen is good...

create a "shadow layer" and set it to the appropriate pen colour (as set out in the *.ctb file)...draw your solid hatch boundaries (i like using plines) and solid hatch away...after i do all that i isolated the layer, select all, and send to back with draw order...turn everything back on and plot away...

I was curious too, how it was done and how difficult it would be, just now took the time to try it to see if I could get the same effect.

A bit of a PITA, create the hatch area's imagining where the shadows would be, send them to the back and set them to a color in the pen table, lightend up in the true color to be a shade than a solid... I'll use it on ones I want more detailed, but to much trouble for everyday, unless someone knows a better way....

Exactly my thoughts too my "tar-heel" brother! I would like to use it in his example (arch elevation) and for other situations.

Sean

Don't know if I'm much of a Tar-Heel, but I do love it here in our state f700es!!

Here's my 1st attempt, it's not to difficult for 20 mins work and it sure does "dress" up a plain 2d elevation. I don't think i'll be doing it on all my elevations but the nicer ones might be dressed up with shadows...( Not showing my boss or I'd have to do every one this way.)LOL

shadingtest.pdf

i dont think if this one works... just an opinion... would somebody try to region and put a material on it, on pdf printing, set it to realistic. does make an effect too.

Don't know if I'm much of a Tar-Heel, but I do love it here in our state f700es!!

Here's my 1st attempt, it's not to difficult for 20 mins work and it sure does "dress" up a plain 2d elevation. I don't think i'll be doing it on all my elevations but the nicer ones might be dressed up with shadows...( Not showing my boss or I'd have to do every one this way.)LOL

Nice one, never actually thought of setting up a solid hatch to a screened color of 20-30%to act like a shadow. looks pretty good for presentations.

yea it's not to tedious, and adds a little something, I never knew about changing the screening setting , I always set a color to greyscale to lighten it up.

Hi All

Think you are over comlicating things shading is a very very easy forget screening forget everything you have tried here is a step by step shading guide for you.

1/Set up a new layer called Shade use color 9

2/In pen assignments select use object colour for this layer

3/Hatch areas using poly line for areas you want, for areas around wndows under facia's etc just use a poly line (200mm looks good)

4/Isolate the the hatch layer (layiso) draw a box around it all to select then choose send to back.

5/switch all your layers you back on

Dont bother screening use the bottom series of grey colours to create differnet effects glass, shade etc

This should take roughly 3-4 mins for a series of for elevations for a standard type house.

Hope this helps happy shadowing! What is tar heel?

If some one can email me or tell me where to get a program to record on screen rograms in use I'll record the proces from start to finsish should take about 4 mins to shade up a house.

tomharrison...this will only work if the *.ctb file is setup to screen the "grey" colours...not all offices use the same standard and colour 9 may not be set up as a screen colour...

aside from that, how is what you proposed any different then what i posted..:wink:

LOL I thought you had just retyped what I originally posted! :wink: What I am trying to say is it is just easier if a selection of colours in ctb files are set as 'use object colour'. This is handy for edguing site areas root protection zones for trees etc Are you suggesting the majority of people only draw in black and thats all they will every use?