Locking templates

norm

Put them in a directory that only you have Read/Write access to. Everyone else put as Read Only, but path the Template directory in their Search Path's in Options. :)

Is .fas the only way to secure LISP's? I remember trying to put them in a folder nobody could access and then ACAD can't access it either...go figure :)

Right, but I'm very protective of my LISP's and right now they're on a drive so AutoCAD can read them and I update them constantly so I didn't make .fas out of them, but I don't want a disgruntle employee to be able to copy them or do anything with them.

I'm very protective of mine too, that's why they're .fas files. If you want AutoCAD to see it, a user must be able to see it; have read access and not hidden.

I change mine a lot as well. My LISPS are on 2 thumb drives and my phone, backed up nightly. The ONLY thing on the work servers is the .fas files that I recreate every time I make a change. It's the price I pay for privacy.

I even compile the lisps I get from here or other websites, so that the self-proclaimed programmers don't screw with stuff and break it.

They've done it, that's why I now do what I do.

sorry, i didn't mean to sound like a prick (if i did)...i know that everyone is protective about LISPs :D and mine are probably hardly worth protecting...lol

I may try your way...it's the simple solutions i never think of!

I didn't think you came across that way at all, just saying I do the same. I know the guys here (@ CADTutor) can recreate my stuff in the blink of an eye; my reason for protecting mine so much, is to keep people from within from changing them and breaking something and so far it has worked very well.

i agree, i don't think my guys even know where they're at or what to do with them. Mine are backed up twice a day (just b/c of where they reside on server) so I'm not worried about losing them but for a period of time we had a couple guys I was worried about taking them if they quit and going to another company with them...seriously thought about putting a time bomb in the master LISP and making a .fas so if they did, it wouldn't work for long. Just never followed through :)

You could do something similar.

My acaddoc assigns users a value to a global variable, VARSET. My lisps first look for the varset as the first line in defining a function. If the variable is nil or "x", it skips the function. So running the command returns a prompt "Unknown User." So if someone steals one of the individual lisps, it does no good because the acaddoc.fas hasn't assigned the varset variable a value, so it creates an empty command. If they're smart enough to get both files, the user check in acaddoc catches them.

It's a nice little web I've spun.