Blow Up 2

Raudel Solis

the following essay/report/ "gibberish" to some, falls under the rendering category for AutoCad, 3ds max, photoshop, any software that can produce graphic images.

have you heard about image enlarging?

it can be quite messy with no algorithm to process the image as it enlarges.

there is a photoshop plugin by the name of "blow up 2" created by a company named "Alien Skin" what an ominous name...

check out the website

http://www.alienskin.com/blowup/

what this software does is enlarge image sizes while mantaining a generous amount of quality, you must try it.

I AM IN NO WAY PROMOTING THIS SOFTWARE FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES,

through use i found it very impressive and i had a need to share it.. of course this subject is nothing new, but a few people might have never heard of such an idea as "quality enlargements"

With the software i utilized a render from a few months back created with the comments and creative criticism of Rod Deweese. Link to Rod's portfolio http://www.rdeweese.com/

--

Image created by Raudel Solis

--------

Project 3 Finalized.jpg

shown above.. and with the plugin i received an amazing image resized to a width of 5500px and the height i do not remember but it was proportional to 5500. the image looked great.

---

details...

---

to get great images from the software.. images of good quality should be inputted matching the following criteria..

1st images over 640*480 are preferred the larger the better the end result.

2nd render quality having to do with "antialiasing, shadows precision, glossy reflections precision, etc will not be affected meaning if i render an image and poor settings, after the enlargement.. the image will only look as good as the original image's lighting, precision, AA, etc.. the only difference will be the resolution.

----

extra details

------

photoshop ver cs5 in my case when i input a 1024*768 image and enlarged it to have a width of 5500px, memory utilization was at a peak of 440Mega Bytes.

the enlargement times are fast.. 20 second enlargement from 1024 to 5500width on a core i7 720qm.:twisted:

---

price and misc.. details

---

$199

"Blow Up takes advantage of multi-processor and multi-core systems. The more processors/cores, the faster it runs"(Alien Skin). this is important because you get the most out of your systems capability and can work efficiently.

"Nearly every color space is supported, including Grayscale, Duotone, RGB, CMYK, and Lab"(alien skin). this is important because professionals understand the fact that RGB is not the only color space available on the market.

"All bit depths are supported"(Alien Skin). this is important because as professionals, professional results desired can not be obtained with just simply an 8 bit or 16 bit color depth, 32 is the way to go.

"Blow Up is the first major Photoshop plug-in that will work in the upcoming Windows 64-bit version of Photoshop CS4"(Alien Skin). This is important because since the beginning of the sillicon era.. we began by simply pushing buttons and imputing instructions byte by byte. soon we stepped up to 8 bit, 16 bit, and the 32 bit OS/processors.. the numbers will only continue doubling. 64 bit is the present and most conveniant due to low limitations, and cost. Blow up's 2 support for 64 bit operating systems allows it to take advantage of every byte of ram available, leaving the 32 bit limitation behind. Blow up 2 is a very useful tool that graphics designers and 3d artist can utilize to speed up production.

--

Download the trial version, you will be impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roudel

I need to upscale 2 images that I will use for my iPad application. Unfortunately I do not have this plugin neither do I have photoshop.

I was therefore wondering if you could please help me upscale 2 photos. I would really appreciate if you could help me with this since you have the plugin.

If this is possible please send me a notice at arntmoberg at gmail . com and I will send you the 2 image file.

Thanks in advance!