It's about time!

PAPASMIRF

Finally got a laptop to run my AutoCAD. Have been looking for a good deal for a long time.

ASUS G73 Gaming Series G73JH-RBBX05 Notebook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870.

Retails for $1200.00. Got one in mint condition for $700.00.

My question is, will I be able to load AutoCAD Architectural 2010 and

Revit Architectural 2012 into this system.

Thanks to all who helped me in choosing the right unit.

I don't see where you'll have a problem. What OS did you go with? Win7? 64-bit I hope. Version? Profession right? Is your version of Arch 2010 32-bit or 64-bit?

Congrats on the new toy. Probably won't spend much time working!

Thanks ReMark. Always glad to have your input. windows 7 Home Premium. 64-bit

Started seven years ago w/r-14. Have worked with 2001 and 2005. Just got 2010 yesterday.

Buying Revit Architectural tonight. Trying to get an entry level job with a company out of Chattanooga

that uses that particular software. It's difficult to get your foot in the door without a degree.

Would love to do this for a living. (Do what u love and you'll never work a day in your life).

OK. Here's the deal. Some people find it troublesome trying to get their 32-bit versions of AutoDesk programs loaded on a 64-bit version of Win7 Home Premium to work. This has not been a problem for me because my work computer has Win7 Pro on it and my home computer has Win7 Ultimate (both 64-bit). I just thought you might like to know.

Thanks. I remember seeing 64-bit while it was loading. Is there such a thing as 32-bit windows 7 home Premium.

My knowledge of some of this stuff is sadly limited.

Thank god for you guys.

As a matter of fact there is but you don't want it. Everything is headed towards 64-bit (hardware and software). Don't linger in the past or revisit it. Think "future". Heck, 128-bit is got to be coming soon to a store near you! LOL

Had never looked at Revit till two days ago.

I was very impressed and strangely excited.

If you have Revit, Architectural is there be any reason to still have basic AutoCAD Architectural?

No disk. Bought a three year academic license.

Bought free software?

Students and displace workers (unemployed) can download FREE 3-yr student license of AutoCAD Architecture and Autodesk Revit for Free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

Did I mention it is FREE, along with around 19 other titles. Over $100k worth of software for free.

Had never looked at Revit till two days ago.

I was very impressed and strangely excited.

If you have Revit, Architectural is there be any reason to still have basic AutoCAD Architectural?

The answer to that is yes, if you want to be able to work with everybody. Not everybody has Revit, and Autocad won't read Revit files. Revit will export to and import from Autocad, but you'll need to be able to do things for your "autocad only" customers.

edit--let me say that for the 2010 versions of each I have, that's the way it works. I don't know for sure about 2012.

• 2 weeks later...