moving a solid to align with new UCS

Jeremy Cox

I am pretty familiar with Acad in 2d and a beginner in 3D. I can usually create what I am looking for, but I am up against a wall. I can not figure out how to move an item (a solid grouping) to a different plane or different USC allignment.

Here is my project: I have created our gallery space in 3D and need to plan where the artwork will go for larger shows ahead of time. I will be moving the artwork from wall to wall in order to get the best possible fit for all the artwork. I have at least 13 different wall sections on different planes or USC locations.

My plan was to create a solid the size of the artwork and then just move, rotate... to the solid on the walls until I have all locations filled then print the space out.

Help!

create your 'painting' in plan view, make it a block or copy with base point, then go to your tools menu and pick on Orthographic UCS and then pick right (for example) and insert your artwork. go back to 'world' ucs and now you can rotate it to hang on which ever wall you want.

that make any sense?

With the artwork do you have standard hanging devices or some sort of slat or grid. Your best bet is to draw the artwork with a "hang point" and use the OSNAP and snap your picture hang point to these "hangers". I do not believe there are auto align or constrain features in the program you are using so you will have to manually rotate them(manual rotate your ucs until Z is vertical so your pictures rotate about Z).

I have tried these and it should work for what I need. I don't need it pretty, just to scale and enough to know where they will be. I have attached the file i am working with. Where there are round pegs, that is what we typically hang from.

At last resort if I can not figure this out in time, I will create the wall surfaces in front view and act as if I am standing directly in front of the wall, not in 3d view.

Thanks for all your help on this thus far.

Art Gallery Edit.dwg

Thanks for all the help.

I figured it out. I did bump up to Acad Architecture 2009 to try and that helped. I created a basic named "art" in Photoshop, 1/4 size. Then I insert a raster image reference and scale it to 4" to real size and vioala! correct scale and all. It even "snaps" to the wall faces so i don't need to mess with the usc everytime.

Thanks again!