How do I find where ground is?

mikeypipes22

In autocad MEP 2012, how do I know where the ground is if my drawing is in 3D? I just started using 3D and its a big step up from 2D so if anyone has any tips on that it would be appreciated. Thanks :)

I'm not sure how you'd do it in MEP, but if I were in regular AC, I would put my drawing into an XY view, and draw a horizontal line starting at 0,0,0. This is, of course, assuming your drawing was drawn in relationship to 0,0,0 as ground.

Usually XY is looking at the front of the object, meaning X would then be your ground level. But you need to check. Do you have a view selection? if so, just go to the FRONT view, and use 0,0.

I'm just trying to learn it before I take on a drawing so I think im just confusing myself haha .. so what if I had to put something on a roof 50' in the air? How would i go about that? Set my X to 50' and the Y to something?

Huh? No. Your UCS should always be at 0,0,0. Use construction lines if you need to. I.e. draw a line from 0,0,0 up the Y axis 50'. That will give you your roof height. How long have you been drafting? Some tutorials may do you good. Do you have to start in MEP? It might be easier to download a trial of 2012 LT and get some basics under your belt.

My brother does it for a living, im just trying to learn on my own .. I took a class for 2D so i know that but the 3D has got me stumped. He doesnt even have any books or anything that i can read about it .. i dont even know what UCS means :( hahah