Default Lineweights

the_real_ptb

I am working in AutoCAD 2009 and am trying to change the default lineweights. For instance when I go to Format - Lineweights... I get a table showing me some default lineweights (0.00mm, 0.05mm 0.09mm, etc...) but these are not the weights I want to use. Is there a command or a file hidden away somewhere that will allow me to edit this list?

The reason I ask is that I am forced to use .stb plot styles and I want to be able to fine tune how thick my lines are being plotted (since I am plotting lineweights by using object lineweight)

I'm thinking there should be a way to change the list, but I'm having a difficult time trying to find it.

• 1 year later...

This issue was just brought up again, except now I am using AutoCAD 2010. The rest of the question is still valid. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.

I am working in AutoCAD 2009 and am trying to change the default lineweights. For instance when I go to Format - Lineweights... I get a table showing me some default lineweights (0.00mm, 0.05mm 0.09mm, etc...) but these are not the weights I want to use. Is there a command or a file hidden away somewhere that will allow me to edit this list?

The reason I ask is that I am forced to use .stb plot styles and I want to be able to fine tune how thick my lines are being plotted (since I am plotting lineweights by using object lineweight)

I'm thinking there should be a way to change the list, but I'm having a difficult time trying to find it.

This issue was just brought up again, except now I am using AutoCAD 2010. The rest of the question is still valid. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.

You can only change them in the ctb or stb. I am curious what you would change them to as there is a good selection to use.

I'm curious about this too, considering I have to skip some of the line widths because otherwise I can't see the difference between them. You just don't like millimeters?

Here's a paste from the AutoCAD 2004 helpfile regarding lweight:

Shortcut menu: Right-click the Lwt button on the status bar and choose Settings

Units for Listing

Specifies whether lineweights are displayed in millimeters or inches. You can also set Units for Listing by using the LWUNITS system variable.

Millimeters (mm)

Specifies lineweight values in millimeters.

Inches (in.)

Specifies lineweight values in inches.

Our State DOT calls out specific line weights we are supposed to be using. We currently just pick the weight that is the closest to what we need and it works out OK (no one can really tell the difference I'm sure), but it would be nice to be able to change the defaults to be perfectly on without having to do any tweeking when we plot. Currently we don't tweek anything and no one complains so we might just keep on keeping on.

It seems to me like there would be a simple text file somewhere that is feeding AutoCAD the weights, I was just not able to find it.

It wouldn't just be a list though, would it?

There'd have to be programming steps linked to each option, both, for calculating and displaying lineweights onscreen, and sending them to the plotter.

I found these two files in my 2006 directory:

acDcLinetypes.arx

acDcLinetypesRes.dll

If converting between mm and inches doesn't do it, you'll likely just have to continue faking it, unless AutoDesk Support can work something out for you, I'm guessing this is something that comes up from time to time.

Back in our MicroStation days it seems like I found some sort of a definition file hidden away that had a list of all the lineweights that were available by default. Edit the list, and the available weights would change. That's the sort of thing I was looking for, but I have a feeling it may not exist in AutoCAD.