Annotive Blocks with Attributes Require Exploding

Lee Howe

I'm trying to create blocks which will be used in multiple drawings for Gridlines and detail marks.

These blocks are basically a circle with an attribute in the centre, and once created as a block are annotive as they will be displayed in multiple viewports.

I can create the block with attribute fine using the "block" command which then allows me to make the block annotive ( The "wblock" command dose not allow this )

However when I insert the block into a drawing I need to explode the block before I can edit the attribute ( even though I explode the block it's still actually blocked )

It's as if the block has been blocked twice, Any ideas?

Walk us through the process you use to create the block. A common mistake is creating the block and then pasting the block as a block into another drawing, therefore creating a block of a block. If that's the case, then you're attributes won't work as expected.

What I do to create the block is:

1) Create a blank drawing ( one with no other block present, fully purged ect )

2) Draw the block I require ( In this case a circle with a diameter of 10mm )

3) Create an attribute by using the ATTDEF command, inserting the text in the centre of the circle.

4) Type in BLOCK and select all the objects, insertion point, select annotive and name the block

The drawing is then put into a folder on our server.

When working in a drawing I then go: Insert Block Browse

and locate the drawing file through the file directory, click open and this then inserts the blocked object into the drawing.

Gridline - Bottom.dwg

Attached is the same block that I have tried creating at work.

The block will work and allow the attribute to be edited without exploding if I create it using the WBLOCK command, however, I need to use the BLOCK command so that I can make the block annotive.

What I do to create the block is:

1) Create a blank drawing ( one with no other block present, fully purged ect )

2) Draw the block I require ( In this case a circle with a diameter of 10mm )

3) Create an attribute by using the ATTDEF command, inserting the text in the centre of the circle.

4) Type in BLOCK and select all the objects, insertion point, select annotive and name the block

The drawing is then put into a folder on our server.

When working in a drawing I then go: Insert Block Browse

and locate the drawing file through the file directory, click open and this then inserts the blocked object into the drawing.

Skip step 4, or when you insert that dwg into your current dwg check the box to explode the block/dwg as you insert it.