Tool Palette Sharing over Network

resullins

Ok, one more question... from what you're telling me, it seems like I would almost have to be offline all the time. I need access to the online files and folders WHILE I'm working with CAD files offline. Is that right?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• resullins

• BlackBox

• Grant

• tzframpton

Ok, one more question... from what you're telling me, it seems like I would almost have to be offline all the time. I need access to the online files and folders WHILE I'm working with CAD files offline. Is that right?

This may be where my lack of understanding as to how your setup is mapped out across the network, however, this is a simpler version of what you were already planning to do (with copying the folders local, then mapping them as a different drive letter, etc.).

Were you to take each folder you'd want made available locally, and set those folders to be available offline, you could work entirely offline (presuming you set ALL of the necessary folders to be available), and only work online when you're ready to push your completed work to the network, for make it available for others.

I setup our entire deployment to be on the network, split between those files which are read-only to the users (write-access for me) on one drive, and those files which the user can modify (write-access for them, no access for me) on another drive, which serves as their personal network space. As we have +/-50/50 slip between PC users and Laptop users, I've suggested that all laptop users work offline when not in the office (for example, I work from home after hours often) so as to not require VPN... especially since our VPN bounces from SW Florida to NW Canada and back, at a ridiculously small data rate to boot! LoL

This setup enables my laptop users to work locally from their laptop's C: yet actually using the network paths to modify files... when they return to the office, they "Work Online" and all modified data (that they have write-access to) is copied to the network in the background. So far, this has proven to be fairly seamless for our work flow.

My PC users also benefit from this functionality with project data located on servers in other offices (we're a bit larger than what I understand your situation to be; we've got +/-11K staff in +/-300 offices, most having several project servers), so corporate drive mapping tools between offices are made available to all staff. This is where I think our situations are similar. If working on a project in another city, or state (as is often the case), my PC users will also use this same procedure so as to not work across the network unless needed.

Does this answer your question?

Ah... there's the disconnect.

I need one folder available offline, our block library. The rest of the files I use on the server either:

A.) Are our Master Job Quotes that need to be opened on the server so that NO ONE else in the company can edit them when I have them open. But they're Excel files that don't bog down my computer to use.

B.) Are our price lists, which comprise approximately 100 GB of information, and I don't really want those on my hard drive.

or C.) Are my email files, I have to be online to get my email...

Again, I do not know how your directory structure is setup, however...

If the files you want to remain online are on the same drive as that which contains the block library folder, then Offline Files WILL NOT work for your situation.

If, as is the case for us, your deployment support folders (i.e. blocks, tool palettes, etc.), project data folders (i.e., CAD, XLSx, etc.), and personal network space each exist on a different network drive, then Offline Files WILL work for your situation.

You will have to determine for yourself; Hope I've not wasted your time with this suggestion... Good luck!