Help choosing workstation

neuri

Hi,

So my current PC is dying on me, currently using the onboard gpu(nforce630i/geforce 7100).

This thing... simply put.. is ridiculous. I need a new PC and we prefer HP. So my boss gave me a budget of about 1.4-1.8k usd , and I got a quote from HP for the Z210 workstation.

HP WORKSTATION Z210 CMT HP Z210 CMT Workstation

HP Single Unit (CMT) Packaging

HP Z210 400W 90% Efficient Chassis

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS

Intel Xeon E3-1225 3.1 6M 4C 95W GT2 CPU HP 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC RAM

HP 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 7200 1st HDD Intel HD Graphics P3000

HP USB Standard Keyboard

HP USB Optical Scroll Mouse

HP 16X DVD+-RW SuperMulti SATA 1st Drive

HP 3-3-3 Warranty

Windows 7 32 Bit Factory Image Recovery Windows 7 64 Bit Factory Image Recovery HP Z210 Localization Kit

NVIDIA Quadro 600 1.0GB Graphics

The above is at 1.4k usd

I don't do intensive 3D work, yet. I am already doing some 3D work in sketchup, just starting out in 3D for autoCAD. So this system has to be future proof because I might be going for CAD certification and will likely work on bigger projects.

From what I googled, Quadro doesn't seem to be good value, I'm kindda leaning towards the FirePro V4800, which isn't too expensive.

Any thoughts?

I would bump up the RAM to 8GB and get a good mid-range graphics card if your goal is to have a computer that will serve you well in the future.

BTW....make sure HP doesn't load a lot of crapware on your computer too. They are known to do that.

Don't need ECC RAM, and go with a good gaming card if you want. There's virtually no difference in gaming cards vs workstation cards anymore. You could even back off the Xeon too, honestly. But, if you must, stick with it. 8GM RAM minimum. 16GB preferred.

If Intel based, go with a SandyBridge based core i7 2600 or higher

8gb ram or more

a good nVidia GeForce GTX (fermi based)

1 tb or higher hdd

dvd rw and good to go

If AMD look at the Phenom 6 core units or 8 core FX-8120 based