Opening Revit MEP instead of Autocad MEP

edwards

Hi everyone

I work on mechanical drawings and have been using Autocad for years and downloaded a trial version of Autocad MEP. When I went to purchase Autocad MEP I was advised to buy the Autodesk Revit MEP suite 2012, which included Autocad MEP. I bought the suite and installed it. It automatically goes to REVIT MEP which I don't want, I just want to use the Autocad MEP not the Revit MEP. Does anyone know if I can just get into the Autocad MEP from the suite.

Thanks

I thought that would have been the case but there is no icon and I can not locate a path. I have installed and re-installed the program (and even had a computer geek looking at it). If I put the Autocad MEP disk in it says it is already loaded - but I can not find it.

I don't think you understand, it would be impossible for Revit MEP to alternatively open an AutoCAD MEP file. AutoCAD MEP files are a *.DWG file format. Revit MEP files are a *.RVT file format.

No, I want to actually just use the Autocad MEP program to work in and in my spare time (which I don't seem to have much of) learn the Revit MEP. I think because there are already files on the computer when I downloaded a version to try which I deleted all the files before I re-installed the disk but there must still be files somewhere in the computer and it is saying that it is already installed.

No, I want to actually just use the Autocad MEP program to work in and in my spare time (which I don't seem to have much of) learn the Revit MEP. I think because there are already files on the computer when I downloaded a version to try which I deleted all the files before I re-installed the disk but there must still be files somewhere in the computer and it is saying that it is already installed.

You are getting more and more confusing. Let me try and isolate your issue since you're still not being clear at all.

You quoted this in your first post:

It automatically goes to REVIT MEP which I don't want, I just want to use the Autocad MEP not the Revit MEP.

I responded by saying it's impossible for AutoCAD MEP files to automatically go to Revit MEP. I also noted that Revit and AutoCAD are two completely separate programs. To start each program you must double click the icon associated with that program. So you're either doing one of two methods to open the program:

1. You are double clicking the program icon. You are either selecting Revit MEP, or AutoCAD MEP. This can be on your desktop or in Start > All Programs > Autodesk folder.
  2. You are double clicking a DWG or RVT file that launches either AutoCAD MEP or Revit MEP. Notice, I said "or".

So, please choose one of the two options I just noted explaining how you are opening your files. Then I can further assist you. Maybe.

8)