Units: are the interchangeable in the same drawing?

The Mad Cadder

Tiger,

You are right. it should be.

There are 12 inches in a foot. So, for example, if you measure an object 144 inches long in ACAD, you can't (unfortunately) just move the decimal place over one spot to the left, and come up with 14.4 feet. You have to divide 144 by 12. Result: 12 feet.

TMC

Its the same principle as the metric system though - instead of dividing with 1000 (to get from meters to millimeters) you divide by 12 to go from feet to inches.

As to why 12 (or what the base is) was considered a good basis for a measurement-system, I have no idea. I blame the Americans.

Oh right, I can't make a joke here. I apologise to any americans that took offense. I like you anyway. Really.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiger

• JD Mather

• dbroada

• The Mad Cadder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As to why 12 (or what the base is) was considered a good basis for a measurement-system, I have no idea.
actually 12 is a good base number as it can be divided by 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 whereas 10 can only be divided by 1, 2 & 5. The problem is with us only having 10 digits. :thumbsup:

Do you really think that helped JD?

I understand that you want to push everyone to use a modern CAD-package, but not everyone have the possibility to do that. And in my own opinion, your constant commenting of how we should all just use the latest and best, instead of actually answering the question at hand is getting tiresome.

Most of the time he is not helpful at all. Some one has a pressing need to finish something for school or work and his answer is to move to another program.