Loading Background bitmaps

hax-

Or just a background image in general, I need to load up an image to trace it basically, or maybe a program that gives a transparent image over autocad so I can trace it or something..

awsome, that works grand, now, do I have to face the front of the object?

It seems as if it is not displaying right when I go to place it on the front of my 3D Box, or maybe I am missing a step here, also thanks for the help, it was driving me nuts trying to figure that out lol.

:? Wait, are you trying to insert an image to use as a background, or are you trying to apply an image to your model? If you want to apply the image to your model, you need to create a material. The Image command is only for inserting images into Autocad, not for applying them to models.

I am looking to put an image up in autocad and trace it (its basically a multi-surfaced designed casing (like a robomower) so that I can extrude it and make a 3d object out of it then sculpt it to its shape.

Then all you need to do is Insert the Image and start drawing. I'm not understanding the bit about "it is not displaying right when I go to place it on the front of my 3D Box". That's why I thought you were trying to apply the image to your model.

I get this message when I try to extrude my polylines.

"Cannot sweep or extrude a self-intersecting curve."

Is this because I have crossing intersections? also how do I go about trimming them so they are clean and have no crossings.

It's best to post screenshots when asking questions like this so that we can see what you are attempting.

I have moved your question to the 3d Modeling & Rendering section.

im sure when you were "tracing" your image you had to turn object snap off so you probably have places where the curves dont connect to others or they cross over others. Select all the curves you have drawn and look at the blue endpoints. You should be able to see where they are fairly easily. The object needs to be a closed polyline before you can extrude it as a solid. Also above you mentioned sculpting it to shape. I think we really need a screen shot of what you are trying to do because autocad doesnt work in parasolids like other programs. So you cant make a 3d solid and modify control points. You will have to use boolean operations to subtract/union/intersect/fillet etc.

placing a background over your 3d? try to use view, upload an image and set as default background, place your 3d that would fir the background so that you could come up with good render and background then render.