How can i extrude?

Z GUY

In Auto CAD 2007, if I want to extrude multiple objects, I can give reference length by pointing start and end(the obeject will extrude with positive value), but in 2012 I can’t use reference length. Sub-command “Direction” can use z-axis length only. How can I use like 2007?

This is from AutoCAD 2007.

Command: extrude

Current wire frame density: ISOLINES=4

Select objects to extrude: 1 found

Select objects to extrude:

Specify height of extrusion or [Direction/Path/Taper angle]:

This is from AutoCAD 2012.

Command: EXTRUDE

Current wire frame density: ISOLINES=4, Closed profiles creation mode = Solid

Select objects to extrude or [MOde]: 1 found

Select objects to extrude or [MOde]:

Specify height of extrusion or [Direction/Path/Taper angle/Expression]

Notice anything unusual? There is no mention of "reference length" as being an option in either one.

I mean for multiple objects not for single one. For example, If I wanna extrude three circles and one rectangle, I can take reference extrude length by pointing start and end point whatever it’s X,Y or Z axis. It’ll extrude with positive value. But I can take the reference length “Z” axis only with sub-command “ Direction” in 2012. If I take X and Y, the sign appear “Extrude direction is parallel to plane of sweep curve.” I just wondering why 2012 can’t do like 2007. I don’t know what’s wrong with me!

You say there was a "reference" option in 2007. OK. Can you tell me where I might find it? I have 2007 loaded on my computer. Maybe then I'll understand what you are attempting to do.

OK. I think I have it.

Yes, in AutoCAD 2007 the user, when prompted for a height, could not just drag his/her cursor in the direction they wanted to go and have AutoCAD auto-extrude the objects but they could make two picks with their cursor and the objects would be extruded the distance. In AutoCAD 2012 that does not seem to occur. I have no idea why or if that behavior can be changed.

Note that this ability is not called out as an option named "Reference". It is just the default behavior of AutoCAD 2007's EXTRUDE command.

AutoCAD 2007

Command: extrude

Current wire frame density: ISOLINES=4

Select objects to extrude: Specify opposite corner: 4 found

Select objects to extrude:

This is where the two picks are made:

Specify height of extrusion or [Direction/Path/Taper angle] : Specify

second point:

It appears that in AutoCAD 2012 the line or object you are using as a reference (to make your two picks) has to be oriented in the direction that you want to extrude in.

Edited by ReMark

I mean for multiple objects not for single one. For example, If I wanna extrude three circles and one rectangle

Multiple objects can be stretched with the path option, although it may be a bit of a misnomer, perhaps VECTOR would be more accurate.

If you get the coplanar message, you can change the Z vertex value from 0, then it will work.

• 7 years later...

What measurements should I use to extrude,  I keep extruding but nothing is showing,  I think it may be my measurements  , my object wid the is 34636 and length is 22000, what can I use to extrude

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a rectangle you first want it to be a closed polyline. In 2D you wont' see the extrusion unless you are extruding in something other than Z coordinate.  You also wouldn't have an easy way to snap to your reference point.  So you will need a standard or custom isometric view to have an ideal vantage point on what's going on and ensure you can snap to a good reference point.

Your reference point doesn't have to be perfectly lined up - it just needs to be some snap point with a Z value other than zero.  Autocad will then extrude the polyline from Z value zero to the Z value of the reference point you snap to.

For example, if you are snapping to the corner of a footer that has a Z value of -12 inches and your polyline is at Z value zero, you will end up with a 12" high 3D solid with the top at Z value zero.

By default, Autocad should let you snap to that reference point and it will extrude to that distance, automatically (whether it be -12" or 1000').

You can also edit the extrusion height in properties later on.

But if you are using extrude command and you aren't getting 3D solids as a result, something else is going on.

Either your polylines aren't completely closed or you are snapping to an unintended reference point on the polyline, itself.

ChriS