Can't trim overlapping circles... any suggestions?!

RowanTree

Hi all,

I'm suffering from CAD rage with this one.... please help!

9 times our of 10, I can't trim away the overlap on a pair of circles... it's sooo frustrating... as every now and then the trim suddenly decides it will work!

Here is a screen shot, which will hopefully explain the issue fully...

Trim_Issue.jpg

I just can't work out why these pesky circles refuse to trim! I'm trying to merge them into one 'cloud' like shape, by removing the overlapping section from each circle.

Any suggestions?!

Rowan

Have you checked the "z" values? Make sure they're co-planar

dJE

They shouldn't need to be coplanar to trim. They don't need to be on parallel planes either. T > enter > enter then select intersecting segment to delete.

trimmed circles of noncoplanar Z values.JPG

non-coplanar and non-parallel trimmed from WCS.jpg

WCS perspective of trimmed noncoplanar circles.JPG

They shouldn't need to be coplanar to trim. They don't need to be on parallel planes either. T > enter > enter then select intersecting segment to delete.

...I know how to trim, and I do seem to be able to trim overlapping circles (sometimes)... however not always.

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the angles at which the circles intersect?

It's sooo frustrating!

I'm only working in 2D... if that helps (both cirles on same layer).

Thanks,

Rowan

...I know how to trim, and I do seem to be able to trim overlapping circles (sometimes)... however not always.

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the angles at which the circles intersect?

It's sooo frustrating!

I'm only working in 2D... if that helps (both cirles on same layer).

Thanks,

Rowan

The circles on the samples I attached had z elevations ranging by about 4 meters, and I rotated them to different angle on either the X or the Y axis. None of them is touching any of the others. Try trimming something other than a circle?

The circles on the samples I attached had z elevations ranging by about 4 meters, and I rotated them to different angle on either the X or the Y axis. None of them is touching any of the others. Try trimming something other than a circle?

I think you need to check your UCS. Enter UCS at the command line, and see what response you get. I think you need to go to WCS or to reset the UCS which you are in to WORLD.

Gotta suggest the obvious, even though you may have tried it all.

Make sure they are all circles, and not blocks that contain circles. If they are blocks, you can use the edges of the circle to trim another circle, but you can't trim the circle in the block.

If any of the circles are x-reffed, you can't trim them or use them to trim anything else.

Make sure all your layers are unlocked.

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. If none of these solve your problem try posting the actual file as Hulk suggested and we'll take a look.