Warning - File in use - before opening?

caddcop

Is there a way to configure AutoCAD so that when you try to open a file that is in use by another, it issues you a warning before opening the file? And also to have it let you know who has it open?

Currently, if someone else has the file open, it only warns you once the file is already loaded and, the warning in the Window Title is frequently truncated, cutting of any text message that is supposed to remind you of the fact that the file is open read only.

We are in Land Desktop 2008 on Windows XP.

When a drawing is read only, doesn't ACAD 08 make the drawing title lowercase? It does in ACAD 09.

You can use the command WHOHAS to see who is currently in the drawing.

The oldest version I have installed currently is Land Desktop 2009... however, when a file is read-only I am prompted to continue opening the file as read-only, to which a "no" answer will result in not opening the file at all (or at least programmatically closing the drawing upon the selection).

Apparently in 2008, it waits until it opens the file and all of its XREF's and only then does it tell you it is read only and that dialog box only has an OK button. Which is probably a good thing.

And yes, we see the filename echo change to lowercase, but that is the only reminder to the user.

In other software, if you select a file in use by someone else, it tells you before it goes very far. If my users have to jump through a bunch of hoops to find out, they would probably rather live with how it works now.

On the bright side, we might be moving to 2009 early next year...

That is bazaar.

Short of upgrading to a newer version, consider a LISP routine that utilizes the DOS_TRAYWND function to remind your users (with a timer) in a read-only drawing that their work will not be saved (unless they save as).

DOSLib is required.

doslib.dos_traywnd.png

Looks interesting. And Powerful.

Bet I could really break things good with this!

Now, to find the time...

OH! Thanks A Bunch!

Edited by caddcop
Forgot to add a thank you