Working with shape files

sweep

Hello, I am currently working with a 36x36 Map and a Map book 8.5x11s. I have some problems. The shp file that i am working with is an address points file. Loading the file it gives me a symbol where the house is and the number and street.

1. I need to edit the data so only the symbol and the postal number only shows. I currently have tried reloading the file and only selecting what attribute i want to show up. But, this does not work because there is so much info in this file. Its like looking for a needle in a hay stake. Is there a way when you open the data table to turn on and off certain attributes? Or whats the easiest way to sift though and edit?

2. On my 36x36 when you zoom out the symbol and the text gets bigger. What this does is when I look at my map key in my map books there is nothing but the shp. file covering everthing up. I set my draw order. How do you set the file to not increase in size when I zoom out? I would like it to stay the same size as my mtext. Or is there a way to turn my shp file off in my map key (its really not needed)?

Also thanks to everybody here who got me started on the map books. Your advise saved me.

1] When you _MAPIMPORT your shapefile, you can choose which attributes load and which not.

If you wanna display an attribute embedded in the shape (like the postal number) you should label it: there's a lot of ways to do it, my favourite one is an _ADEQUERY.

2] I don't use mapbooks, so wait and pray for a somebody's help, sir.

:)

1] When you _MAPIMPORT your shapefile, you can choose which attributes load and which not.

If you wanna display an attribute embedded in the shape (like the postal number) you should label it: there's a lot of ways to do it, my favourite one is an _ADEQUERY.

2] I don't use mapbooks, so wait and pray for a somebody's help, sir.

:)

Sounds like the OP is using Data Connect and not Mapimport.

Hello, I am currently working with a 36x36 Map and a Map book 8.5x11s. I have some problems. The shp file that i am working with is an address points file. Loading the file it gives me a symbol where the house is and the number and street.

1. I need to edit the data so only the symbol and the postal number only shows. I currently have tried reloading the file and only selecting what attribute i want to show up. But, this does not work because there is so much info in this file. Its like looking for a needle in a hay stake. Is there a way when you open the data table to turn on and off certain attributes? Or whats the easiest way to sift though and edit?

2. On my 36x36 when you zoom out the symbol and the text gets bigger. What this does is when I look at my map key in my map books there is nothing but the shp. file covering everthing up. I set my draw order. How do you set the file to not increase in size when I zoom out? I would like it to stay the same size as my mtext. Or is there a way to turn my shp file off in my map key (its really not needed)?

Also thanks to everybody here who got me started on the map books. Your advise saved me.

1. When you open the data table you can resize the colunms and move them by clicking on one and while holding the mouse button down drag. Oce you close the data table it will revert back to the orginal view. To over come that is use the autohide feature of the data table palette.

2. In the style editor you need to size the symbols and text(labels) to map space and not to device space. The size contexts drop down in the dialog box.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the Help everyone. Ya'lls advise has worked. New Problem though. When i set up the Map books to tweek it a little it tells me Invaled settings No Title Block selected. I don't believe I've been doing anything different. I always select the drop down box and select (title block). Confused.