what is XREF_XREF_XREF_XREF3 ???

samifox

hi

using ACAD LT 2008

while working on a drawing the scale list is overloaded with weird scales like 1:100 XREF_XREF_XREF_6 and such. its really annoying. can anyone tell me where it came from and more importantly how to disable there way to my drawing?

Thanks

S

These are annotation scales.

When you paste something from another drawing or attaching a drawing as XREF it brings along all annotation scales from the source file. For XREFs you can choose to display them or not, but for pasted objects you end up having them embedded in your target drawing.

After a while, the list gets enormous and it slows down Autocad. I had a huge list in my base template so this problem would propagate into all new drawings. After I cleaned this mess up it all went back to normal.

Newer versions of Autocad can clean these automatically when they detect the list is long. For older versions, there is a "Cleanup Scales" utility:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11062617&linkID=9240618

Hope this helps,

Tassos Ringas

OPTIONS > User Preferences > Edit Scale List button.

Hold down the shift key to select more than one scale and hit the delete key. The only scale you cannot delete is 1:1.

If you have that much overhead garbage built up in your drawing, you also should run Purge 2 or 3 times.

Also make sure you have the latest updates. I know that 2008 was the absolute worst case scenario for this XREF scale issue. It used to add xref scales every time you opened the DWG, thus you could easily end up with 10000's of scales in that list. The 1st service pack "solved" this to an extent by not re-importing xref scales each time the DWG was opened, but still it was not "perfect".

Another issue is with RefEdit. You tended to end up with $0, $1, $2, etc scales each time you used it. So be warned on that score as well. There's some nifty ways of getting rid of these scales, e.g. the afore mentioned Cleanup Scales.

Here's a long thread showing numerous ways of getting around this problem: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=74324