XRefs, Blocks, Attributes and BOMs

ziemerd

I have drawings for several chassis that use a lot of the same components and I need to make a BOM for each chassis. I plan to create blocks for all components used to assemble each chassis and I plan to attach attributes that include part number, description and a reference designator.

What I would like to do is to update a block once and have it update all the drawings of all the chassis and update all the BOMs attached to each chassis. So, each chassis has it’s own drawing with a BOM and then I would like to have a master list in a database or spreadsheet that has all the components for all the chassis where I can, say, change a part number for an LED and have all the BOMs update automatically, and change a block and have all the drawings with that block automatically update.

Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing this? I already understand how to export attribute information in one drawing to a spreadsheet or database but I don’t know how to do what I said above.

Thanks for the help.

Dawn