how do I model this as a solid

dumfatnhappy

this is beating me (not saying much :x ), I'm trying to get this 'wedge' or 'slice' as a solid but it's from a cylinder which I am finding difficult. (see attached)

anyone help with this?

thanks

slope.pdf

Could you draw the cylinder and subtract all but the wedge from it, or even slice everything else from the wedge? your probably after something more complicated than that, it's just a thought...

Is the Cylinder a tube with a wall thickness or complete solid?

Could you draw the cylinder and subtract all but the wedge from it, or even slice everything else from the wedge? your probably after something more complicated than that, it's just a thought...

Is the Cylinder a tube with a wall thickness or complete solid?

hey Ghost, it is a cylinder with a wall thickness. As to your suggestion I don't know how to subtract "everything but the wedge" since the wedge would have to be a solid to do that (thus problem solved? :D ) right?

i would do it just as ghost suggested, draw your cylinder and slice it in the appropriate location.

ok, I guess I don't know/understand how to do that.

hey Ghost, it is a cylinder with a wall thickness. As to your suggestion I don't know how to subtract "everything but the wedge" since the wedge would have to be a solid to do that (thus problem solved? :D ) right?

Yea your right, problem would be solved, I'm not good at explaining since I barely get through 3-d myself... but I think to do this were going to need 3 pieces, the inner cylinder ( to slice the wedge from) the outter Cylinder and the wedge... Let me see If I can accomplish somthing similiar

ok, I guess I don't know/understand how to do that.

Start by drawing a cylinder at the max radius, create another cylinder inside at with the inner radius, SUBTRACT to get your 3D solid cylindrical wall thickness.

I think we're assuming that the hatched area is a 2D surface?

If you can get (or remake) that 2D surface to fully intersect the cylinder wall you can use SLICE to turn the cylinder into two pieces and delete what you don't want.

I suppose if it's just a hatched area, you might be able to region it and extrude it a good distance and use INTERSECTION (I think that's the name for the boolean I'm thinking of ... been a while ...)

Edit: I think I might be misunderstanding a significant part of the problem ... so this post might not have been entirely helpful...

Start by drawing a cylinder at the max radius, create another cylinder inside at with the inner radius, SUBTRACT to get your 3D solid cylindrical wall thickness.

I think we're assuming that the hatched area is a 2D surface?

If you can get (or remake) that 2D surface to fully intersect the cylinder wall you can use SLICE to turn the cylinder into two pieces and delete what you don't want.

I suppose if it's just a hatched area, you might be able to region it and extrude it a good distance and use INTERSECTION (I think that's the name for the boolean I'm thinking of ... been a while ...)

Edit: I think I might be misunderstanding a significant part of the problem ... so this post might not have been entirely helpful...

hmm... I'm struggling with this. the hatched area is the top of the slice. This is somewhat like an orange slice (only using the cylinder)

Not sure if this is what you are after, but basically I just modeled the inside diameter of the cylinder and sliced off the wedge, then subtracted it from the full cylinder..... If that makes any Sense at all.. is this similar?

cyl 2.jpg

hmm... I'm struggling with this. the hatched area is the top of the slice. This is somewhat like an orange slice (only using the cylinder)

Ohhhh... Okay, I think I follow a bit better and I think Ghost might've hit it on the head.

Not sure if this is what you are after, but basically I just modeled the inside diameter of the cylinder and sliced off the wedge, then subtracted it from the full cylinder..... If that makes any Sense at all.. is this similar?

very cool only I want the inverse (or opposite). I want the wedge, not the cylinder. Does that change the way you did that? My problem (I think) is I don't know how to abuse the slice command. I'll have to read up on that

thanks Ghost!

First up, I think you'll need the cross section of the wedge at it's largest point (at least, that's the easiest way I can think of this).

If you draw that triangle as a poly line and EXTRUDE it to be larger than the diameter of your cylinder, you can use INTERSECT, select both the extrusion and the cylinder, and get the Wedge. The only placement requirement is that the point of the extrusion is on the centerline of the cylinder.

Cylindrical Wedge 1.JPG

Cylindrical Wedge 2.jpg

Cylindrical Wedge 3.JPG

looks like we're getting there.... Play with the slice command, basically just take the model of the cylinder ID from the side view I draw a line at the angle needed from the quadrant of the top of the cylinder and use that as the slicing plane... Good luck !

looks like we're getting there.... Play with the slice command, basically just take the model of the cylinder ID from the side view I draw a line at the angle needed from the quadrant of the top of the cylinder and use that as the slicing plane... Good luck !

well I THOUGHT I answered this post a while ago but I don't see it.

it went something like "you guys are awesome! I did it with the intersect command

can't thank you enough! this forum rocks!! :thumbsup: "