Issues with default drive partitions on new computer

Mike_Taylor

Ok, so i went out and got myself a new home computer for personal and some business use.

It has a 2TB hard drive in it, but the issue im having is how the partitions and what not are set up.

It came with a Gateway© partition, which im assuming is meant for all the OS and what not to be installed on as its ~45GB.

The 2nd partition (D) is the rest of the space, but for some reason which I dont understand, all programs, libraries and everything else are set to the smaller of the 2 partitions, which I really do not like.

Ideally what I want is windows and all default programs installed on the current c-drive and everything else (documents, pictures, videso and after market software) on the D drive.

What would be the best way about doing this. I haven't dealt with an issue like this before.

thanks in advance.

Your OS and all your programs would normally be installed on the C: drive and your data on the larger partition or D: drive. I believe it is set up correctly. You could elect to subdivide D: drive further by splitting it in two or even three thus adding a E: and maybe even an F: drive. Have you ever partitioned a drive before? Are you familiar with FDISK? You might want to consider buying a program like PartitionMagic if you haven't partitioned a drive before.

What OS is installed on this new computer? Is it Windows 7?

I have partitioned a drive before. What i think I need to do in order to get what I want (more room on the c-drive) if what you're saying about the set-up is correct is to partition my d drive and move the files I have there to one of the partitions. Then delete the empty partition.

Would this be correct?

You think there is not going to be enough room on your C: drive for all your programs? How much bigger do you want to make it?

I'd split D: drive down the middle and create a new E: drive. Leave whatever files are currently on D: drive right where they are. E: drive will be initially empty of any files. What you you use it for?

I only have 9GB or so left on my current C drive, which is only enough for about 2 new programs. I want my c-drive to be about 250-300 GB, and then move all my labraries (empty on my new computer right now) to my data drive.

You must have a boat load of programs installed. Well it seems you have a plan so all you need to do is follow through with it. Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

Ok, that wont work lol. The c-drive is the 64gb SSD, and the D is the HDD. Looks like Ill be install everything else onto the D-drive.

Completely forgot about that until I opened the partition manager, haha. I was like "so much for that idea". Now I just need to change the directory of the Users folder and ill be good.

It isn't often I hear of someone who just got a new computer and doesn't remember how many hard drives it came with. Thanks for the chuckles.

Yeah, I had a bit of a hastle buying it. I ended up wanting to pay on debit as I dont have a credit card, so I had him break into 2 payments (1 of $1000 and the other the remaining) as I have a $1000 limit due to some security issues 3 years ago. So, there machine kept rejecting my card, so I had to call my dad at work, have him stop by when he was finished and put it on his credit card. I ended up having to wait for about 45 mins.

I would have gone home for the wait, but the only store with that computer was 45 mins away. I have never been so furstrated/bored in my life.