very simple problem with coordinates/lines

mcrae44

so say i want a line to go from 10,10 to 50,50.

ill type l

type 10,10

hit enter

type 50,50

hit enter

and i'll have a line that goes from 10,10 to 60,60. what setting do i change to fix this? it also happens with the move command. i can't remember this basic stuff form my first autocad class cause its been so long. im using 2012.. thanks!

Hi

What is happening is that the default input for the second point is set to relative coordinates. In the past you would have to use the "@" to input relative coordinates (e.g, after putting 10,10 you put @50,50 which will put the next point at 60,60). Nowadays, you can set relative coordinates as default so that you won't need to use the "@". To change the default to absolute coordinates, you go to the "Dynamic Input" settings which are found in the "Drafting Settings", you can access this directly by right clicking the dynamic input button in the bottom menu (a plus sign with a small white rectangle under it). You then go to "Settings" under "Pointer Input" and choose "Absolute Coordinates"

I hope this helps

Enter OSNAP at the commandline > ENTER.

This will open your drafting settings dialog box.

Open the POLAR TRACKING tab, and you will be able to choose OSNAP relative or absolute.

The setting you are used to is Absolute, but as long as you understand why it is different, I should think you would prefer Relative. It can be a huge time saver.

here is where you will fix that.JPG