sheetmetal worker ( newbie autocad duct detailer/ autocad mep)

wanabdrummer

Any other sheet metal workers turned duct detailer/designer /bim etc.Using autocad 2010/autocad mep/ vulcan and trimble design link. Looking for tips for setting up,just getting started seems a bit daunting, any advise would be greatfull.

I think there might be one other guy on here with that type of experience. I would be a close second. I never worked in the duct shop but I was in the field for three years installing duct so I know how the shop works. I've done takeoffs for the fab shop, piece by piece, knowing exactly what they need. I know the fitting codes, S/D or TDC connections, FOB, FOT, throat size, in. w.g., etc. I've been using AutoCAD MEP since 2007 so I'm very familiar with the program you're now learning.

The best advice I can give you, is to post up what you are trying to accomplish, and I can do my best to tell you how to reach your goal. Since I'm from the same type of business I'll understand what you're trying to do and I know AutoCAD MEP pretty well as we have a long (and difficult) history, haha.

trying to xref 2d dwg files and draw mep,link to plasma table for cutting and fab.My company eventually would like to move up to gps locater robot for hanger,equipment,duct and canning hole locations.

trying to xref 2d dwg files and draw mep,link to plasma table for cutting and fab.My company eventually would like to move up to gps locater robot for hanger,equipment,duct and canning hole locations.
WOW. You guys are really trying to streamline this I see. Hmm....

First off, AutoCAD MEP is not a fab software. You can get it to become a fab software with EastCoast CAM or TSI CAD-Duct. Links are here:

EastCoast CAM: http://www.eccadcam.com/software_solutions/sheet_metal.shtml

TSI CAD-Duct: http://www.technicalsalesinternational.com/v2008/cad-duct.php

I will say this, you are really in for a lot of setup and work. I hope your company is prepared for the severely labor intensive stride you're about to embark on. I will say this, it's not cost efficient to approach this type of business model for smaller jobs. You will lose your shirt bigtime if your company plans on you creating and entire duct layout in AutoCAD just to send to the cutter. I hate breaking this news to you but I'm just trying to be as honest as possible. If you have any other questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask.

You have to start somewhere or technology will pass you by.You are right on the money that it is not cost effective on small jobs.Were thinking long term and medium to large projects. We have a programe thats linked to autocad mep that makes this process very efficient. There are a few contractors in our area that have made the investment and have had good to very good results.Some of the projects that are being bid on require that you are BIM accredited. I was thinking of starting with maybe one supply air/return air system. Then as the job progressed maybe a mechanical room or floor wing. Even something like verifying ceiling elevations could save alot of man hours.

You have to start somewhere or technology will pass you by.
You are absolutely right about this. Be reminded that I am in no way trying to discourage you or your company. I am simply trying to warn you of the journey you're about to embark on since I've already "been there, done that". :)

AutoCAD MEP is definitely considered a BIM platform. My suggestion to you and your company would be to take these steps in this order:

1. Learn AutoCAD MEP and don't worry about sending anything to the cutter just yet. Give yourself a solid year of creating shop drawings using this software, it will take you every bit of that amount of time with day in, day out designing with AutoCAD MEP to become familiar enough with it to use it efficiently on the level that you're trying to go with it.
  2. Look into buying a compatible fab software, that not only works with AutoCAD, but also has the compatible software for the plasma cutter. This is a critical step that not many people understand when diving into this. They think any "fab" software will send the right info to the plasma but your system has to be able to receive it.

This would be my suggestion simply because I know what it takes to embark on this journey. I'm trying to give you a realistic timeline for your expectations and although technically its doable in less time, it's usually unlikely.

:)

I think we have taken the steps like you have but have purchased the fab. software to link with cutter, autocad mep, and bidding software. This is all up and running,just waiting for myself on the mep side of things. The bidding software that is linked to autocad mep is something that looks like we could utilize right away for a few design build jobs.

The area I really need help with righrt now just getting started are work flow steps to be productive, working with correct files and formats, xrefing 2d files and drawing on top and have this all come together some how in 3d.:mrgreen:Can you shed a little light on some procedures and steps to take?

The journey has just started literally,(cracking the door open).

Here's a book for AutoCAD MEP and it's worth every penny:

http://www.amazon.com/Aubin-Academy-Master-AutoCAD-2012/dp/1461141265/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327544339&sr=1-1

Direct from the online User Guide:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/browse#WSfacf1429558a55de1cfb4a9fe2fbd5994-7d29.htm

Some videos covering the basics and more from Autodesk:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/video-playlist

Some tutorial datasets for download. They are version 2010 but will work fine with 2012:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=12749859&linkID=9240935

Get familiar with all this content and start actually using the program. This is only for AutoCAD MEP, not for the "extra" software you will be using. 3rd party software such as "design-to-fab" software usually is really expensive and should have decent documentation and tech support. You'll be on your own with the 3rd party software. Use this forum and a couple of others for when you get hung up somewhere and really need to ask a real user a question.

Happy learning. :)

I bought the book by Aubin but here in canadah!!!! It will take a couple of weeks to recieve it.I am working my way through user guides and videos as much as I can.Thanks for the help.Things should start to go a little better after my first training course on the 3rd party software in Baltimore starting Tuesday next week and then another course the following week on mep fundementals.Hopefully I should have the book by then to support what I have forgotten.

trying to xref 2d dwg files

Open Autocad Mep click on the insert tab > attach > select your file Type (most likey pdf) >click ok > insertion point ,uncheck on screen > scale uncheck if you file is 1/4" then type 48 if you scale is 1/8" then type 96 >Path type doesnt matter ( i use full path) > click ok

trying to xref 2d dwg files

Open Autocad Mep click on the insert tab > attach > select your file Type (most likey pdf) >click ok > insertion point ,uncheck on screen > scale uncheck if you file is 1/4" then type 48 if you scale is 1/8" then type 96 >Path type doesnt matter ( i use full path) > click ok

Just to be clear, the original poster wanted help on how to reference DWG files, not PDF files. Just posting for clarification is all. :)

to wanabdrummer

Would like to know which bidding software you are using? and if you could export you autocad mep model into you bidding software?

quickpen and yes , would be nice to know how! I was to get some training this week, but homeland security felt that I was to dangerous to enter your country for something I did 27years ago ( i was 16 ) There goes my family vacation to Disney. !!