Can't see a copied layer

islandeast

Hi all,

I have 2 drawings and one drawing (dwg-A) has several layers that I want to copy to my other drawing (dwg-B). I went into DesignCenter and found the layers that I wanted to copy from dwg-A and draged them into dwg-B. When I look in my layers drop down box in dwg-B, it shows that these new layers from dwg-A have been brought over successfuly to dwg-B, however, I cannot see them. These new copied layers are all turned on and are thawed. I should be able to see them but I cannot. I have tried this several times and each time with the same result. Layers have been copied over from dwg-A to dwg-B but I cannot see the copied layers in dwg-B.

Any ideas? I'm missing something and I don't know what it is.

I'm assuming I know what the problem is.

In fact, there isn't a problem at all. If you go through the Design Center to import Layers, that's all your doing is importing the Layer itself - not everything on that particular layer.

If you want to bring in the stuff you've drawn itself, then you need to do it the old fashioned way and select everything on that layer in DWG-A and Copy/Paste it into DWG-B. :)

Thanks StykFacE,

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that a layer and its associated objects cannot be copied together simply by coping the layer itself in the Design Center. If this is the case, how can I copy the layer's associated objects all at once without having to do them all one by one individually? Thanks

Well if you're really using AutoCAD LT 2004 like it says in your profile, then there's no real "easy" way to do it like you can with the latest versions.

So, you'll have to open up your Layer Manager, make the layer you want Copied to be the Current Layer, Freeze the rest of them, close the Layer Manager and then select all object, and do a Copy/Paste.

Kinda a rough way to do it but if you can upgrade through your company then you'll have a tool that does this much more effectively. :)

Hope this helps some.

It would seem that the easiest way to do this would be to make a block or wblock of the objects and import them into the new drawing that way. You can always explode the block afterwards.