can't see material in viewport

nowikovs12

Hello guys, I have this issue with my model in 3ds max, I have a multi/sub object material applied to one wall, containign two materials, one to be for the wall, the second to cover one face of the wall. I have applied an architectural material as material one, and second material is Arch&Design with diffuse colour map of an image, this image is not showing up in viewport, it only shows when rendered. This makes it very difficult when I try to apply different UVW map settings, as I have to render every time, I make the change, which is stupid. Could you tell me why doe's it not show in the viewport?

Also when I click on the multi/sub object, the icon for viewing in viewport is faded out. I would opriciate your help, thank you.

3ds max prob.jpg

maxprob.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Cad64, it is so nice to hear from you :)

I noticed that the problem is with the environment, not the goemetry, or materials library. I exported the same geometry in new scene, then applied exactly the same materials, and they showed up in the viewport. I have a file with two lights and one plane, that has this issue. I have attached it here, have a look. I think that the issue might be the units setup. The system unit setup was set to millimeters, and the Display Unit scale was set to centimeters. I don't know if that was the issue. Currently I have changed the units setup to meters, and the Display unit setup is centemeters. I am working on a exhibition stand, so it is more comfortable for me to do measurements in centemeters.

Also regardign to the script totorials I requested, I found what I was looking for. It wasn't 100 script tutorial, it was the 101 Maxscript by - John Wainwright. Thanks for the links you provided me with.

3ds.max

Did you create that file in 2012?

I'm on 2011 here at home so I can't open it, and I won't be back in the office until Monday, so I will try to remember to look at it then.

Any time Max starts giving me problems, if I can't figure out the solution quickly and easily, I will just import my geometry into a new file and that usually fixes the problem. So if that fixed your problem, I wouldn't worry about the old file. Just discard it and move on. Sometimes Max files just get corrupted. That's why it's ALWAYS a good idea to keep multiple copies of your files. Do incremental saves as you're working, so if something goes wrong, you can go back to a previously saved file without losing a lot of work.

Regarding your units setup, that shouldn't be a problem. I think the problem is just with the file itself.

Glad you found the script tutorials you were looking for. :)

Hello Cad64, yes the file is created in 2012, sorry about this. I have attached the 2010 version. Don't worry much, as the problem is resolved, it's more when ever you have a free moment, while your drinking coffee or something :D just have a glance for your own interest, and let me know.

I guess you are right, it is pointless to look for the problem, if it is already resolved, it's better to just move on. Maybe the file was currupted, I just thought that I am missing some features or something, that's why I showed this curiosity, to understand this problem. By incremental save, did you mean the + button?, thank you for your responses Cad64, I hope you are doing well, nice to see you :thumbsup:

3ds.max