Layer Frustration

Bulldawg

Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I'm sure there is a simple solution to this it just eludes me at the moment.

I am xrefing a base survey drawing into a layout plan. The survey drawing contains contour lines on there own layer.

In the plot sheet (the drawing that has the survey base file xrefed in) I freeze the countour layer and they turn off. I save the drawing and close it. When I reopen the drawing the layer is turned back on. This happens every time.

Can somebody please tell me what setting has gotten out of whack:? :x :?

Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I'm sure there is a simple solution to this it just eludes me at the moment.

I am xrefing a base survey drawing into a layout plan. The survey drawing contains contour lines on there own layer.

In the plot sheet (the drawing that has the survey base file xrefed in) I freeze the countour layer and they turn off. I save the drawing and close it. When I reopen the drawing the layer is turned back on. This happens every time.

Can somebody please tell me what setting has gotten out of whack:? :x :?

Open the base drawing and freeze the layers you want frozen. Save base drawing with layers frozen.

Then detach the xref from you host drawing, save, and close.

Reopen your host drawing and reattach the xref of the base drawing back in.

This should solve your problem.

I have had this problem too in the pass and this solution has always worked for me.

Good luck with it!

Set the drawing variable VISRETAIN to 1.

"Xref-dependent layer changes made in the current drawing take precedence. Layer settings are saved with the current drawing's layer table and persist from session to session"

Thanks for the help. The visretain = 1 did the trick.:D

If I used the first solution wouldn't I need to purge the xref layers from the drawing before reattaching? Also I'd have to go back in and set the layers back up the way I needed them after reattaching. Would I not?