Best workstation, windows 7, cloud

comcu

I am currently using a CPU with 1gb ram with autocad 2008. I only use 2d so it's not a problem a lot of the time but it is generally slow. We have new software for doing cutting list and material orders which requires 3gb ram min. We have dual monitors too which iis counterproductive due to our rubbish computers.

Our boss is in talks with IT company that intend to install windows 7 and store all our emails on the cloud. They believe this will help speed up our computers and will be adequate for autoCAD. Does anyone have knowledge of this? I don't believe it to be true?

If you're using AutoCAD 2008, I don't think you'll be happy going up to Window$ 7. We have two computers that are on 7 and they have problems with AutoCAD 2008 working properly. If you're looking to stick with 2D, it might be better for you to upgrade you version of AutoCAD and go with a mid-range PC. Darn near anything you buy from an electronics store will run AutoCAD without a problem (I bought an $800 PC from BestBuy and AutoCAD 2010, and the 2013 Beta, doesn't have any trouble at all).

If you're thinking about upgrading to 3D, like we did, then you'll want a higher end workstation with a good graphics card.

More information is needed, methinks.

While 32-Bit applications can be installed, and run on Windows 7 64-Bit OS (I've been successfully doing so for months using Land Desktop 2009), you're going to see the largest performance gains when using 64-Bit applications - commonsensical.

If you do not require 64-Bit processing, then it will be much more cost effective to deploy a department's worth of Windows XP Professional 32-Bit work stations w/ 4GB RAM. If you require 64-Bit processing, then there are many other considerations that are needed... For example, printers & plotters that may need to be replaced in order to support 64-Bit print drivers, etc..

As for emails in the cloud --> We've been doing this now for some time. Basically, what has happened in our implementation, is that the email server receives THE email regardless of the number of recipients. THE email is then scanned, and POINTERS (think shortcuts) are directed to each of the recipients' inbox, instead of having a copy of the email in each recipient inbox, there's actually only ONE email, stored on the server.

Sure, you can upgrade to 4GB running XP 32-bit but to gain anything worthwhile out of it one would have to utilize the 3GB switch in one's boot.ini file for starters. Then I'd seriously consider tweaking the virtual memory settings and perhaps even consider upgrading the graphics card. It would be one of the cheaper ways to go. Then you can chug along using 2008 for another couple of years but in the end your company is going to have to seriously consider upgrading everyone's computer and possibly the software as well. It is, after all, 2012.

Thanks for the info everyone. In an ideal would we would all be on the latest issue of autocad with top end computers. At the minute it is all 32bit windows xp. Most have office 2003. We have several different versions of autocad 2008, 2006 and 2004. I realise this needs changed.

To explain I am now being asked to look after the drawing office and being given a budget to work too so I am looking at the optimum way of improving everyone. We currently have 4 draughtsman including myself.

With regards to 3d we don't really do it although I am trained in it. No one else is. I am considering buyin one copy of inventor as I think 3d drawing will come in use now and again. We work in the curtainwall industry and i think inventor would be better than architectural desktop altho that is just a hunch at the minute and needs investigating. We do complicated drawings sometimes and 3d would be of use.