40:1 scale?

The Nickster

hey guys i received a bunch of drawings that are supposed to go out for bid this friday. Normally i would have no problem PDF'ing these and plotting them but I am a bit thrown off by the scale that is on the drawings. They are all in metric and the scale on the title blocks are 40:1 not 1:40 i cannot find a paper size or a scale to make these drawings print to said scale. Am i over looking something obvious here? All of the drawings have the titleblock in model space too, so it it making it a pain to set these up to print as i am used to plotting drawings out of paperspace. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

One thing you might have overlooked is that in the plot dialog box where it says Scale: 1:1 below it should read 1 mm = 1 unit not 1 inch = 1 unit.

You are aware that paper sizes are different in metric than what we are used to using right?

Maybe I am missing something, but isn't 40:1 in model space the same as 1:40 in paper space? IN MODELSPACE = 40 units printing equivalent to 1 unit on paper (regardless of the units). IN PAPERSPACE = 1 unit (on paper) equivalent to 40 modelspace units. This stems back to the ACAD versions up to R13. It is now a major pain to place the titleblock in model space. Since you are used to dealing with paperspace, what if you create a paper space layout with the viewport surrounding the modelspace title block?

Maybe I am missing something, but isn't 40:1 in model space the same as 1:40 in paper space? IN MODELSPACE = 40 units printing equivalent to 1 unit on paper (regardless of the units). IN PAPERSPACE = 1 unit (on paper) equivalent to 40 modelspace units. This stems back to the ACAD versions up to R13. It is now a major pain to place the titleblock in model space. Since you are used to dealing with paperspace, what if you create a paper space layout with the viewport surrounding the modelspace title block?

I tried making a layout of the drawing and doing exactly that 1:40 and the paper size becomes 38'-0.1/2" long lol. The best i can come up with here is converting the default paper size from 841mm x 1189mm to 33.1102" x 46.8110" or more commonly a 36"x48" sheet.

One thing you might have overlooked is that in the plot dialog box where it says Scale: 1:1 below it should read 1 mm = 1 unit not 1 inch = 1 unit.

You are aware that paper sizes are different in metric than what we are used to using right?

yes and yes... the scale read in "mm" not in "inches"

I've never seen anything like this.

Does the Title block give a clue to the sheet size?

What is the size of the text?

If there is a frame, try starting to plot from Model space, with different sheet sizes, and see if anything looks reasonable in the Full Preview.

Does the Title block give a clue to the sheet size?

What is the size of the text?

If there is a frame, try starting to plot from Model space, with different sheet sizes, and see if anything looks reasonable in the Full Preview.

no the only thing that it says (size wise) on the title block is Scale: 40:1. I did however find a solution, luckily there are some dimensions on these drawings so I just scaled the entire drawing down to match the dimensions. The drawings were 25.399816 times the actual size. While that is kind of a risky game to play I really didn't see any other solution. I'm just hoping that the drawings themselves were indeed drawn to full scale and the given dimensions were correct.

25.4 is the conversion factor between inches and millimetres.

Perhaps whoever prepared the drawings did not know what they were really doing, but well done for finding a solution.

if you have some hard dimensions on the drawing that you know are correct you can use that against the the length measured in CAD to get a scaling factor you can use to get it to one to one regardless of what ever 'hinkyness' this drawings been through.