Really need some help with dimensions

trooper182

There seem to be two requests here. One to dimension the components, and the other to print out some full scale templates that can be used to machine some of the components.

The full size printing would not need to be dimensioned? or am I getting confused.

(I certainly can't spell souls in my previous posts - must have been feeling low)

I thought maybe you had a thing for shoes! :lol:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• trooper182

• eldon

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope that you will find time to help the OP in due course.

If I were to attempt anything, I would probably dimension those lengths that the OP wanted, but as I don't know, I can't. Then I would explode all dimensions and blocks (which is a terrible sin, so I shan't). Then I would make all colours Bylayer, and then scale the whole drawing to inch units, by drawing a line of length 25.4, and scaling By Reference so it was one unit. Then I could draw a rectangle of 36 x 24, copy it around, and shift the details that were required for templates (but I don't know which these are) into the right place for printing in monochrome from Model Space.

There is so much that I don't know, and my proposed techniques will draw so many gasps of horror, that I really must leave it in your capable hands :(

Sorry, been out all day dealing with a broken pipe. Blast single digit temperatures anyway.

Couple questions...are the parts drawn the right size now, metric or otherwise? If not, is there anything in the drawing that I can use to get the right scale factor?

I haven't looked at them yet but will get to it later this evening. If you saw where this broken pipe is, you'd know why I need a rest now. The hike there and back was much more of a challenge than fixing the break.

As far as I can see, the drawing is to correct size in millimetres at 1 to 1.

A lot of lines have lineweight of 0.00, and are not coloured Bylayer.

As far as I can see, the drawing is to correct size in millimetres at 1 to 1.

A lot of lines have lineweight of 0.00, and are not coloured Bylayer.

Ok, thanks. Lineweight and color are of no real concern, OP can fix those as he chooses. Thanks for your help eldon.

Sorry folks...I got warm and well fed and dozed off after all that yesterday on that broken pipe. Wife had dinner ready shortly after my last post, and after being wet and cold and all that, I fell asleep, didn't wake up till 4 hours later. Doing it now though.

Ok, here's one part. Please don't take this as an educational sample of how a well drafted piece should look, I ran out of time and had to finish it in a hurry. Sorry, but paying customers have to take precedence over cadtutor stuff.

What you will see here is one of your pieces that has been reoriented on the page so that its longest edge is parallel to the x-axis. There are two views of the same part, one has all the angles, radii and diameters called out. The other has a style of dimensioning called ordinate dimensioning. This makes putting dims on a small part with lots of features easier to read, so that you don't wind up with a whole bunch of stacked up linear dims that are hard to keep up with. I ran these dims so that the origin would be at the theoretical lower left corner. You'll see 2 numbers, one in brackets along side one that's not. The unbracketed number is the imperial (inch) dimension, the bracketed number is the metric equivalent. I used two views because I really didn't see any way to include all the information on one and still be able to read it.

In modelspace you'll see a red box around the part. That box is 21.5" x 34.5", which is about as big as will print on 24 x 36 sheet. You may have to make it smaller, depending on the capabilities of the individual printer you wind up using. When you switch to layout, you'll see the same size box, but this is the viewport. Theres also a bit of text that says "layout 1". If you copy the box and this text to another spot, you can put more parts in change the tag to "layout 2" or whatever. Then when you make a new layout sheet, simply do a zoom window in the viewport, and go corner to corner on the red box in model space. The result will be layout tabs at 1:1. Those boxes and text are on the vports layer and will not print.

I've tried several times today to upload this, and the snow and sleet fallling outside keeps interfering with my satellite signal. If you have questions, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Just don't be surprised if it's not till tomorrow after this front passes and the sky clears and my dish can see the satellite again.

THROTTLE PARTS.dwg

Edited by Jack_O'neill
really helps to upload the right file

Jack, my man. I think you might have uploaded the wrong drawing. I don't see any changes.

OOOPS! You're right...I did. Thanks for catching that. I'll fix it.

Lookit that, a benefit to being nosey.

Hey, I need all the help I can get here lately. Had that stupid pipe break at the well house. Well is 1000 feet from the house, down an incline that is so steep you almost have to rappel to get to it. It drops 150 vertical feet in 75 horizontal feet. Anyway, packed the tool box and all that down there to take care of that, packed it all back out, got wet in the process. Temps were in the 20's (below freezing for our thermal unit impaired friends). Already had a bad cold caused directly by bragging to my doc at an annual physical a few days before that I couldn't remember the last time I was sick. I think she contaminated me! Too much cold medicine and physical exertion, that's what it is!!

My wife catches some sort of bug EVERY time she goes to the doctor. I think it's the medical version of the "Service Engine Soon' Light. You'll be back sooner or later cuz they just set it ahead another 30k miles.