DXF generation issues

jeroend

I'm building my website / application where users can upload and/or customize existing drawings to fit their own needs. It all worked with SVG, but now I'm working on a DXF export, so I can send drawings to cnc routers. I do have one program (viacad) which is showing my dxf drawings, however I send a few of my drawings to a cnc / carpenter shop who could not read my generated (attached boomerang.dxf) file with autocad 2010 ( internal error: !dbr12dxfin.cpp@2318 ) after which autocad is trying to send a report to autodesk. I'd really appreciate if somebody could give me hints on what's wrong. You can experiment yourself with my online dxf generation DXF (You need a modern non IE browser, firefox v10 or chrome v16 are just fine)

boomerang.dxf

Couldn't open that either, got this on the commandline - and a window before that, picture in a second.

Improper table entry name PUNCH!_SOFTWARE_VIACAD on line 1288.

Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded.

Thanks for your replies and testing so far. I'm not to happy with ViaCad and they have not been very responsive to issues in the past. It's too bad that they don't produce proper dxf, but its a very cheap product. I'd be more happy if i could solve my generation issues, or get a clear explanation what is going wrong in my little file. Autocad is unfortunately not very informative about the reason of the crash, and it's hard to find any reference material.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

If all you are looking for is 2D there are a number of cheaper (everything is cheaper than autocad...) alternatives that get recommended on this forum on a regular basis, search for 'autocad clone' if you are interested.

I think that my target should be Autocad, (you can't get fired if you deliver autocad compatible files right?)

I went back to the original python package (dxfwrite), from which I basically borrowed the logic. DXFwrite is supposed to generate R12 DXF.

Attached 2 files which come directly from dxfwrite. Again a quick test is appreciated (beware that my previous tests happened to crash autocad :cry: )

lines_layer.dxf

lines.dxf