Drawing Lists

CADcol

Is it me? or are drawing lists a thing of the past now we have document management systems?

I am currently reviewing our CAD procedures which use a drawing list for all assemblies. This is a duplication in work especially when it comes down to modifications as these lists also require modifying. The drawing lists are created on an A4 drawing sheet and contain all drawings and their revisions for an assembly. Once a component requires modifying and raised in issue so does the DL.

Could anyone offer me any information on this as to whether DL's are common in the outside world? I work in an industry that does not operate under the same parameters as the real world.

What I'd like to do is advise management here to ditch these over laborious methods in favour of modern data management which can automatically generate the drawing lists.

I have to produce an Index sheet for each set of drawings for each project, I've simplified things so that I can extract the approriate title block information into and excel sheet so updating the index sheet and the documentation is fairly easy and less likely to have any sorts of discrepencies.

Please don't convince management, or be extremely clear on what exactly you want. They'll come up with some great tool (of course written by a third party that bugs out after being paid) which holds all documents and can generate everything from everywhere. And turns out to be slow as hell so you end up still taking the same time for the same task but just spending it cursing at the software.

As long as your project doesn't consist of hundreds of drawings, excel sheets are still the best imho.

thanks for the responses guys. I'd posted this on a couple of other forums including Autodesks a few weeks back and had no repsonses so to have the above in just a couple of hours is greatly appreciated.:D

I don't use drawing lists for the design stage of a project, for revision control we use a software called QDMS http://www.qa-software.com/QDMS00.asp The project manager sets up the drawings to be issued at the start of a job, based on our std naming procedure. He issues a copy to myself and the Electrical Engineer with dates that he needs them complete, then fun begins!

Once we move into the manufacturing side of things, where nothing requires issuing to a client, I use a spreadsheet.

[url=http://www.qa-software.com/QDMS00.asp][/url]

See... We simply use attributed title blocks which are populated by Fields that reference Custom Properties within our Sheet Set (.DST) file. Some of which are the Issue Date and Description... Change this once in Sheet Set Manager (SSM), and automagically all title blocks are updated, and ready for plot. We also archive the project after each submittal.

I'm stealing that one.

... Derived from the way Management often thinks CAD work gets done.

Here are some translations, for my non-English brethren :thumbsup::

• French: automagiquement
  • Italian: automagicamente
  • Portuguese: automagicamente
  • Spanish: automágicamente

thanks for the responses guys. I'd posted this on a couple of other forums including Autodesks a few weeks back and had no repsonses so to have the above in just a couple of hours is greatly appreciated.:D

thats why most of us are here, because most other forums either don't have people around that know or maybe they just don't care to share lol, either way this place is superior for most trouble shooting and worldly advice. Welcome to CADtutor :) .

Consider simply using Sheet Set Manager (SSM) to produce you sheet list table... Specifically using the "Insert Sheet List Table" Menu option. :thumbsup:

Here's a tutorial found in a quick Google search:

http://indydrafter.com/autocad-ssm-sheet-list-tables/

I discussed moving to this method a couple months ago with the boss. Looks like the way to go for me.

With many here still using 2005, will there be any problems that may crop up?