Tracking Drawing Changes

Schumi

Is there an "easy" way to track changes made to a drawing file? I know you can have a log file but, if I'm correct, that's a separate file for each session. The default location for the log file is on the C: drive; I guess another question would be, can you change that (maybe with global or wildcard settings??) so the log file(s) resides with the drawing file?

For instance, we have drawing files that are stored on a central server and edited by multiple users. It might at least be helpful if the log files resided together with the drawing files, rather than on each individual workstation.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of having some type of log or record directly in the drawing indicating (maybe in a simpler fashion than the log file) what changes were made, when & by whom. I know this could simply be text entered/edited by each user but that could get difficult to keep up. I was hoping for a more automated way & haven't found it yet.

Thanks.

Land actually has Map loaded. With it you can turn on the um... err... what's that thing called?... Help me out here Bob. I don't have Land loaded so I can't go check what it was called...

At any rate, there is a feature that, when enabled, it will require each user to log in to the .dwg and it gives a command line prompt for what the revision was and logs this information in a data file. You can then print a report out every so often. The thing with using this is that you have to get your people actually using it properly. I don't know that many firms ever really used the feature much, but I do know it's there. I want to say it resides in the Map menu under Revisions???