Is there a limit to what a scr file can contain?

f700es

I have a few scr files that were setup by a 3rd party vendor to use with our Facilities Mgmt software. One line in the script file turns on a certain set of layers. I have been adding layer names to this line but it recently stopped working. I add to add another command in the script to continue with the layer command. Any reason for this?

A script can do anything you can do from the command line. Be sure when you edit it that you use the command line commands. If you use one that calls for a dialog box, it will open the dialog box and stop. One command per line. As Bigal said, each space is considered an enter, each blank line is considered an enter. References to file names that contain spaces must be enclosed in double quotes. Use an ascii editor such as notepad to edit scripts. MS Word and other word processors sometimes have formatting that will cause a script to crash.

Other than that, you can do about anything you want with a script.

Thanks guys. I actually knew most of this and I use Notepad++ to edit the script and other text files. Like I said before it seem that I had to break up a "-layer" command as the list of layer names seemed to have gotten too long to work. I broke it up into 2 commands and it worked. Just wondered if there was a limit to say layer names in a "-layer" command. Thanks though I will check to see if there was a space somewhere in the list.

Just to eliminate one possible source of error, have you tried a different text editor, like WordPad.

I believe that NotePad had difficulties with word wrap at one time in its history.

Not the NotePad that comes with Windows, this one....

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

It's probably the best text editor on the planet ;)

Just to eliminate one possible source of error, have you tried a different text editor, like WordPad.

I believe that NotePad had difficulties with word wrap at one time in its history.

Not the NotePad that comes with Windows, this one....

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

It's probably the best text editor on the planet ;)

Never heard of that one...looks interesting. You might try just regular old notepad though to eliminate the possibility that it's not quite doing what you need if you don't find an extra space or something.

To make the spaces easy to find, you could do a "find and replace", replacing a space with an ampersand or some unique character on a copy of the original file.

A quick check open it in word and click on the Pi symbol spaces are then high lighted same as end of lines. But do edits in notedpad word can add stuff