Add Custom .dll's to AutoCad

Leszek

Hey guys, I was wondering if there were tools available that I could use that would allow me to add custom .dll's to AutoCAD, the following is what I'm specifically interested in doing:

I would like to have code execute everytime a block is placed into a drawing. The code would add a count of the block to an SQL database and then that information could be extracted for counting purposes.

If anyone could give me a heads up on this that would be great.

If you are working with AutoCAD LT then there are no options/tools available.

Full AutoCAD has several customization options; the choice of which would typically be based on the familiarity with a specific API.

API?,

So this is the story, By being a student of Microsoft web developer and Adobe flash, I can currently pinpoint the proper vocabulary to ask a question that will generate an answer from the community useful to me. But this is because I've become familiar over time with Syntax and programming concepts related to both.

Now I want to plug in to AutoCAD, and I'm new, infant, but I've got the will to learn. I just really need the right direction and tutorials to get started. To learn what is possible.

So your answer, though I thank you for the answer, makes no sense to me specifically because it's above me at this time. This is my second post related to what I want to do.

Given all of that, could you direct me.

API = microsoft speak for Application Programmers Interface.

As for where you go from here, as SEANT has already said, with LT there is nowhere you can be directed to.

Thanks Dave. These acronyms are used so often in this section of the forum that I sometimes forget they are not common knowledge.

As we’ve mentioned, AutoCAD LT does not have any method for the complex automation alluded to in the original post.

If full AutoCAD is available then there are several Application Programming Interfaces to choose from. The most common are ActiveX(aka COM) which would include – most notably - VB6, VBA,and AutoLisp/VisualLisp. Though, I don’t believe the Lisp options or VBA are capable of constructing a DLL. VB6 could conceivably build a DLL, but you would need a old version of Visual Studio 6 to do so.

The other options, ObjectARX and .NET are the more likely candidates if a DLL is the end goal. Visual Studio 2005 and/or 2008 would work. Or, if you are working with AutoCAD 2012 thenVisual Studio 2010 is the better option.

Visual Studio has a free version (Visual Studio Express) that has the necessary capabilities required for the task mention in the first post.

Awesome. I'm already familiar with VB 2010 and am quite comfortable with it. This is very encouraging. Where can I go to find related tutorials.

Now, I almost all of my knowledge of said programs has come from independent investigation, and yes I will google and try to find appropriate materials. However, if anyone i aware of good introductory, or just good online tutorials from which you think could benefit me, I'd appriciate the input.

Cheers guys

Absolutely, theswamp.org is a must for any AutoCAD developer.

Some Autodesk sponsored resources:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=18162650&siteID=123112

Additional resources:

http://www.acadnetwork.com/

http://drive-cad-with-code.blogspot.com/