xref fields not working in sheet set manager

Spiderguy

Hello! I am new to the forum, but have had about 12years experience with AutoCAD.

I have run into a stumbling block and can't seem to find the solution on my own. At my office we use xrefs extensively. The borders are set up as a stand alone drawing and xrefed into a carrier sheet that contains nothing but xrefs for the entire job, these are where the plotting and sheet variables come from. We are looking at using sheet set manager, and slowly integrating it into our current method of using AutoCAD. The problem that I am having is when I set-up the fields for the title block to use current sheet parameters (whatever they may be) it of course wants to use the border drawing's settings (there are no settings for this dwg, so I get ####). Once I xref that border into the carrier sheet the fields should pick up the current sheet info and display that information, however, I get ####.

My thoughts are that the fields are only reading the border dwg's info and not reading the "current sheet" (the carrier sheet) info.

Please, give me any pointers and I can give better discription of proceedure if it is needed.

Thanks,

Matt Hamby

Hi I'm currently training with the SSM but that is not to say I can solve your problem. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to get all the fields to work and found it more than tricky. However I can see the benifet of SSM and it more than makes up for the effort and pain. Your problem could be one of many and it could take a while to sort. Have you customised your fields so that the info you set in the SSM is referenced to the fields that you would have created in a new sheet template?

I trained with a paper called "Sheets Happen" and I have included a link below. Hope I've helped

http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_weblog/2005/10/sheets_happen_a.html

I don't believe they will work in an xref'd border. I am not 100% sure on that though.

We have our border referenced in and the data for the border is in the current dwg. These must be in a paperspace layout or they won't work. Be sure your dwgs are not setup in modelspace only. Also check your fieldeval variable. It is best to leave it set to 31.

I have read and am using the "Sheets Happen" it is a help! Fieldeval is 31, I'm thinking it has to do with it wanting to read the xrefed sheet information. I will continue to keep trying, however, if anyone else has any ideas, let me know! Thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

oops It's DIESEL not DEISEL

DIESEL (Direct Interpretively Evaluated String Expression Language)

DIESEL

For Direct Interpretively Evaluated String Expression Language. A macro language for altering the status line with the MODEMACRO system variable and for customizing menu items.

to create a DIESEL

type RTEXT (this command is in Express Menu>text>remote text)