Why do people move backgrounds?

addesigns

Can someone please explain to me why the architectural firms constantly move there plans. Everytime we get and updated plan to x-ref in it is moved. It is rather annoying. Best answer gets bragging rights.

WELL...From an engineer's perspective...

This is one of the things taught in Architectural Schools!

The following is what is going on in your example:

1. Receive request for changes/modifications to original drawing.

2. Copy all of the original elements in the drawing (to protect the original plan).

3. Begin making changes to newly copied elements.

4. Boss looks over shoulder and says, "Why are there two versions of the same drawing elements? That's redundant and dumb! Erase the old one!"

5. Original elements, in original location are deleted.

6. Revisions are completed on copied elements.

7. New version, with new location due to copied elements, is sent to the team with new coordinates.

8. Frustration ensues and posts like this one happen!

I enjoy working with all you architects out there, but sometimes you can really drive me crazy! (I am sure you architects are saying the same thing about me and my engineering colleagues - and we deserve it!)

P.S. I once (recently) received a drawing with 15 different "layouts" of pages for printing ALL IN MODELSPACE (no layout tabs)!!! The relevant elements were copied for each individual page!

P.S.S. I have also had an architect move (and rotate) survey data points to better fit into their layout tab so the sheet "printed better"!

That wins. I recently started with an MEP engineering firm. The guys always complain about this. To be honest it doesnt bother me too much, but I have only been doing this for a few months now. I just figured I would see what someones opinion was. Thanks you much

Can someone please explain to me why the architectural firms constantly move there plans. Everytime we get and updated plan to x-ref in it is moved. It is rather annoying. Best answer gets bragging rights.

1. They have no defined method for working.

2. They have no standards.

3. They have no compassion for others.

4. They have no idea what others use their drawings for.

5. They don't use xrefs in their office so it doesn't matter to them.

6. They are new to CAD.

7. They love torturing the engineers.

8. They needed to pan their view in PS but don't know how so they moved everything instead.

9. They were told to move the location on the print, didn't know how to move a viewport so they moved the model.

10. Someone just learned about the insbase command.

P.S. I once (recently) received a drawing with 15 different "layouts" of pages for printing ALL IN MODELSPACE (no layout tabs)!!! The relevant elements were copied for each individual page!

I worked (note past tense) for an survey firm that did that all the time. I could only stand it for a few weeks. BTW the title blocks for those "layouts in Model Space" where exploded blocks w/attributes that they edited the attribute tags to read as the text they wanted. :cry:

Architects normally work in mm, everyone else works in m.

A lot of architects seem to be coordinate blind. They draw in mm with four decimal places, and degrees to the whole degree.

Why should moving the background be a big deal? They have to rotate the original survey, so they can draw orthogonally :shock:

WELL...From an engineer's perspective...

This is one of the things taught in Architectural Schools!

The following is what is going on in your example:

1. Receive request for changes/modifications to original drawing.

2. Copy all of the original elements in the drawing (to protect the original plan).

3. Begin making changes to newly copied elements.

4. Boss looks over shoulder and says, "Why are there two versions of the same drawing elements? That's redundant and dumb! Erase the old one!"

5. Original elements, in original location are deleted.

6. Revisions are completed on copied elements.

7. New version, with new location due to copied elements, is sent to the team with new coordinates.

8. Frustration ensues and posts like this one happen!

I enjoy working with all you architects out there, but sometimes you can really drive me crazy! (I am sure you architects are saying the same thing about me and my engineering colleagues - and we deserve it!)

P.S.S. I have also had an architect move (and rotate) survey data points to better fit into their layout tab so the sheet "printed better"!

If they had one tiny bit of common sense, this would work fine if they would make one small change to steps 2 and 3....copy the original plan to another location to protect it, then work on the original...when it's finished, erase the copied elements and everything stays put! Simple, right? But beyond the understanding of most architects.

If they had one tiny bit of common sense' date=' this would work fine if they would make one small change to steps 2 and 3....copy the original plan to another location to protect it, then work on the original...when it's finished, erase the copied elements and everything stays put! Simple, right? But beyond the understanding of most architects.[/quote']

My firm (we are architects) have two version of received files: One goes into our received folder for storage, and we have an xref copy which is the one we tidy up for use in our drawings.

To answer the original question, it's usualy so that your drawing will co-ordinate with the site survey!! (We have this problem all the time - usually with Landscape Architects)

dJE

1. They have no defined method for working.

2. They have no standards.

3. They have no compassion for others.

4. They have no idea what others use their drawings for.

5. They don't use xrefs in their office so it doesn't matter to them.

6. They are new to CAD.

7. They love torturing the engineers.

8. They needed to pan their view in PS but don't know how so they moved everything instead.

9. They were told to move the location on the print, didn't know how to move a viewport so they moved the model.

10. Someone just learned about the insbase command.

Well said!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man - you just described what I'm going through now! I'm new here and have been searching this great site for answers to problems I face with dwg files and endless revisions. Some of the drawings I get have the elements moving at random, as if the arch. is doing it on purpose! That couldn't be though.....right? :roll: Is there an easy way to move everything back to a common point? Or could someone adjust the drawing origin to compensate?