Details on Cylinder

Kurz009

I haven't used inventor in a while and have become a bit rusty (got used to 3ds max) and forgot a couple of inventors little quirks. I'm using inventor 2008 pro, so it is a bit different than the one i used to use... So, my problem began while starting my new little spare time project of modeling a 20 shot revolver, the Cylinder where the bullets are stored has some "details" that I want to incorporate as accurate as possible. As you can see from the attached picture the circular dents that it has I managed to create by moving a work plane far enough so I could use a cut revolve of a half circle to remove a similar looking part, and then used a circular pattern to get them evenly spaced. I am somewhat displeased by the result and I am almost certain that there is a better way than my frustration filled procedure.

In essence my question is as follows: How in the world do I add the details from the attached picture onto a standard inventor cylinder?

any other tips and tricks you might be able to offer to a rusty nooblet like myself would be greatly appreciated.

Sincere apologies for the long post,

Thank you in advance,

~Kurz :)

hdh 20 coups mal-02.jpg

Draw circle (or ellipse) and point and then loft?

you could set the angle between dent and outer surface

and your point would be however deep the indent goes

thank you both for the responses. I Used Lazers method for the circles, but it didn't work too well for the top area :(. I am trying to use Swelshy's method, but as you can see from the picture I seem to be doing something wrong... since the sketch is on a flat plane only part of the cut actually makes it on the surface and there is a triangle created. Same thing goes for the second method I'm trying to use (the revolve in the second picture), although that one leaves a flat bottom and I want to give it the slight curve it has.

Thanks again,

~Kurz

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Attached some suggestions (inv 11 btw).

loft for the circles

and

sweep for the other bit (the red line is the path)

there are loads of possible ways, it depends on how accurate you want to make it

rendered.jpg

dimple.jpg

sweep.jpg

id say you just need to do a hole but you need to set your plane up correctly. 10 shot revolver id say there are 20 of those detents in there. They are probably tangent with the surface so if you use one of your standard planes and do a hole of the correct diameter and distance away from center you should get a cut just like that, then you can revolve the feature. its hard to tell but from a fabrication standpoint i can almost bet those will be tangent because some sort of linear trigger mech will it that.