PDF not appearing on plot

Scoobydoo

One of my co-workers had an issue with a drawing, and she had a PDF file XREF'd into model space on a layer called "XREF", and she had created a viewport in paperspace and you could see that the PDF file was there. However, when you plot it, the PDF does not plot. The layer is on, and is not frozen in the viewport, and is also a plottable layer, so techicially, there should be no reason why it shouldn't appear when plotted.

The only way I could get the PDF to plot, was to remove it from model space and place it in paper space, and then I could get it to plot out. The reason for placing it in model space to begin with is so we could create a polygonal viewport and not be limited to just the rectangular shape of the PDF page. Also, with the PDF in paperspace, we can't XCLIP it and are limited to just reducing or enlarging the PDF page, which in this instance was an 8-1/2 x 11 landscape page.

Does anybody know why the PDF does not plot on paper when XREF'd into modelspace but it plots out fine when the PDF is in paperspace?:unsure:

Thanks,

JD

Thanks for replying Daniel! I just checked this parameter, and it is already set to 1, so thats not it.:( I am hoping that it is a simple setting that I have not found yet! Thanks again!

I don't ever insert pdf's into my drawings so i'm still guessing but you might check the viewport settings for your underlay, it could be set to not plot in that viewport or something, I'm not really sure why it would plot in paperspace and not model if it wern't something like that, hopefully someone one around here has more experience with pdf's referenced into a dwg.

• 10 months later...

Hello caddmandew,

I am using Autocad 2013, and there is a command PDFATTACH, or you can access it from the menu bar INSERT, PDF Underlay. I was able to insert a PDF in modelspace, created a viewport in paperspace, and was able to plot now with no problem.

Hope this helps! Janice

• 8 years later...

Two Quick solutions: 

1. Double click on attached pdf (model space). A tab of properties should come up where you will have to click yes to multiple properties such as General, underlay...etc. These includes plotting as well. 

2. Just reattach the pdf and reference the scale, copy-paste the modifications and it should be good to go. 

I hope it works. 

• 1 year later...

Similar problem with V2016.  I have several PDFs in model space that are seen through viewports in paper space with 4 different layout views showing the different PDFs.  Some print to PDF just fine but a couple show blank or white in the PDF plot even though I can see them in the plot preview.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a drawing with 11 different PDFs. Only two of the PDFs on the page would not print no matter what I did. I tried every solution I could find on the internet. The only solution I could find was to use another format for the PDFs that didn't work. Converted them to PNGs.

Edited by ctaylor

On 12/29/2022 at 2:16 PM, ctaylor said:

I had a drawing with 11 different PDFs. Only two of the PDFs on the page would not print no matter what I did. I tried every solution I could find on the internet. The only solution I could find was to use another format for the PDFs that didn't work. Converted them to PNGs.

Assuming from your question that the pages are drawn and plotted from modelspace? Have you tried making each into a separate paperspace tab and plotting like that? If you do that then delete and remake the tab