Need Source For Mapping Tutorial

carlosh

While I'm not a beginner, I find myself at a loss when it comes to creating a map on AutoCad. Currently, I'm using 2007. Here's my situation: I want to create a map with latitude and longitude lines. The problems start with the fact that the distances for coordinates X and Y are not equal. Besides, the coordinate system has to be in degrees and minutes.decimal. I have the gps coordinates for many points and locations that I need to enter. The true longitudal distance between the 2 farthest points is about 80 miles and the width is about 30 miles in an area on the Texas coast.

Now that you know what I'm trying to do, where can I find a tutorial online that would teach me how to set up the coordinate system for creating real scale maps?

Carlos in Austin

RustySilo: My question is directect more at the setup. As for entering locations, the default output from my GPS is Deg Min.decimal (26º41.568' 97º19.02), though I could change the output of my GPS to match the required input by AutoCad.

I haven't tried that lisp.

If your gps can convert the format to full decimal that would make it easiest as I don't know of anything that can bring them in in a Deg Min.decimal format. If it can't you might be able to have Excel convert the value using a formula. Not sure.

While the maps that I often produce are in state plane or even local coordinate systems something over an area this large is going to be an issue when you think about what you might be using the drawing for later.

If you plan on using an image under the ACAD file later the projection of both those entities will make a huge difference. Decimal degrees is more accurate than DMS format anyhow and in many cases coordinates are collected in UTM or state plane.

It would likely be beneficial to start with a program such as ArcMap and enter the points there. Then import the dwg that you create into ACAD. This way you can choose what projection you want and more easily manipulate the area over which you wish to create the drawing.

For as great as ACAD is at many things, mapping is not one of its stronger areas. Even the old version of ArcView will still import coordinates as X, Y data and you can use that to import the data to AutoCAD.

I beg to disagree with everyone.

carlosh, do a google search for GDAY. get that download...it's free.

as for convergence on the azimuth, forget about it. over 80 miles, unless you are doing geodetic work, you are waisting your time.

Just set the download from your GPS as normal coord points. You will have to get the area code from your local, or any, government survey office.

Dingo, I downloaded the GDAY to see what it does. It seems to be some kind of conversion tool. I'm not sure how that helps me, but I'm going to read the user's manual. I'll report back later and let everyone know what I find.

Carlos

I guess that this GDAY program is a bit beyond my understanding. Let me put it this way, I have many coordinates for points I've gathered. Why do I need GDAY? I can see where it converts from AGD to GDA. Now I really feel stupid. Why is GDA good for me? Does it have anything to do with AutoCad? I may be in over my head.

Carlos