• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• Dana W

• deres

• the ber

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dana it must be your lucky day then, since you started leading me down this luthiery tool-junky garden path a mere 3 days after tom lie-nielsen had his traveling road show in maryland, looks like you just barely dodged that bullet. I'm sorry that you didn't get to see it though, as they are absolutely beautiful tools and he is a great guy. I hope you get to see them at another show, another time, this was the 4th time he has shown there, sounds like a favored venue, catch 'em next time. Too bad the admission is so expensive! :)

tom lie nielsen.jpg

The whole concept of IMPERIALISM seems a bit past its time, to this boy, with the possible exception of old slow hand. :beer:

Great little know track THORN TREE (from DEREK and the DOMINOES), recorded live in the studio all sitting around a shared mike. :thumbsup:

Dana it must be your lucky day then, since you started leading me down this luthiery tool-junky garden path a mere 3 days after tom lie-nielsen had his traveling road show in maryland, looks like you just barely dodged that bullet. I'm sorry that you didn't get to see it though, as they are absolutely beautiful tools and he is a great guy. I hope you get to see them at another show, another time, this was the 4th time he has shown there, sounds like a favored venue, catch 'em next time. Too bad the admission is so expensive! :)
Oh, I didn't dodge the bullet. It hit me right in the forehead. I only live 4 1/2 miles from that location. I shop at Exotic all the time, and have known about it for months. My problem with the expense is how difficult it is to avoid spending my life savings on that guy's tools. I picked up a small router plane at the show.

Just two things.

1 - Feet and inches should be banned.

2 - Clapton the legend rules.

D

It's easy to say the imperial measurement system should be done away with. The trouble is, it's so burried in the U. S. economy and industry it would be easier to bring our dead heros back to life.

Oh, I didn't dodge the bullet. It hit me right in the forehead. I only live 4 1/2 miles from that location. I shop at Exotic all the time, and have known about it for months. My problem with the expense is how difficult it is to avoid spending my life savings on that guy's tools. I picked up a small router plane at the show.

Excellent, then there is a God in heaven after all! :beer:

Glad to hear it, aw come on, American made, lifetime guarantee, these tools will be better in 100 years than they are today, they are so well made.

And I commend your selection, I was eyeing that on the show description, thinking how cool it looked. Really easy to control, beautiful fit in the hands. Come on, buy one each year, and each time you go into your shop it will be a little better, you'll work just a little longer because you can't put the damn things down, and it will be that much more difficult to resist actually doing all those projects that otherwise keep getting put on the back burner.

Hey, look at that nice spoke shave! Wouldn't that be nice for shaping a guitar neck? :wink:

And how do you feel when you are using that little gem?

It may be small, but it reeks of quality!

Excellent, then there is a God in heaven after all! :beer:

Glad to hear it, aw come on, American made, lifetime guarantee, these tools will be better in 100 years than they are today, they are so well made.

And I commend your selection, I was eyeing that on the show description, thinking how cool it looked. Really easy to control, beautiful fit in the hands. Come on, buy one each year, and each time you go into your shop it will be a little better, you'll work just a little longer because you can't put the damn things down, and it will be that much more difficult to resist actually doing all those projects that otherwise keep getting put on the back burner.

Hey, look at that nice spoke shave! Wouldn't that be nice for shaping a guitar neck? :wink:

And how do you feel when you are using that little gem?

It may be small, but it reeks of quality!

Eeeesh. I have so much wood and tools that I have not used yet, I commit a crime every time I buy more. The small router plane, open throat, looks like jewelry. It will be used for large inlay stuff, like soundhole rosettes.

When I actually go to build my FIRST guitar, I will get a spokeshave or two. They'll be easier to use on the neck than surforms, curved scrapers, and chisels.

Hello to all, this is Vangelis from Greece. We took a new project, a bistro at Miami, USA. We must deliver plans, sections, details etc for construction and the problem is that we are not familiar at all with inches, feet etc.

If anyone has some experiance on this, do you think that it would be ok to sent our work in centimeters, or it would be impossible for the contructor to build?

Thanks in advance, sorry for my bad English :)

Hello

I think you mean that in a single dimension can show both

1-Dimension Style Manager

2-Modify

3-Primary Units

4-Scal e factor

5-Alternate Units

6-Unit format:(Architectural Stacked)

7-Multiplier for alt units (25.4)

8-placement ( Below primary value)

Hoping to meet

Bingo! :)

Exactly what I meant, and precisions can be adjusted to suit, as well as units, so that the metric could be expressed in meters, centimeters or millimeters.

The placement of the alternate units can be above or below the dimension line, and with a prefix or suffix to suit if wanted.

Lots of ways to customize it to taste and requirements.

The small router plane, open throat, looks like jewelry. It will be used for large inlay stuff, like soundhole rosettes.

Hard to say how it is more valuable, as an exquisite tool, or as a utilitarian work of art? :)

Either way, you will never tire of using or looking at it!

I look forward to feedback and progress reports on your guitar project. :beer:

I have never built one, but I've set up a lot, I used to manage a friend's shop in L.A.,

and he built a fair number there, including a couple for me.

Of course setting fret locations would be a lot easier in metric than imperial units,

but since you will likely use a template, 6 of one, and 15.24 of the other.

Edited by Dadgad

Hard to say how it is more valuable, as an exquisite tool, or as a utilitarian work of art? :)

Either way, you will never tire of using or looking at it!

I look forward to feedback and progress reports on your guitar project. :beer:

I have never built one, but I've set up a lot, I used to manage a friend's shop in L.A.,

and he built a fair number there, including a couple for me.

Of course setting fret locations would be a lot easier in metric than imperial units,

but since you will likely use a template, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Well, I started the project back in 2003. I've built a solara, collected tonewood, tools, and all sorts of knowledge. Right now we are in the middle of downsizing our empty nest, moving, and retiring, so it may be a while till the "next" progress report. Oh, and at some point I need to learn to play guitar too.:shock:

Oh, and at some point I need to learn to play guitar too.:shock:

There is a reasonably convincing body of evidence suggesting that learning to play a guitar is most readily accomplished by those who own guitars.

I am suddenly reminded of the great quote in your forum signature. Truer words were never spoken. :beer:

The most beautiful song you have ever heard begins with a single note. :wink:

There is a reasonably convincing body of evidence suggesting that learning to play a guitar is most readily accomplished by those who own guitars.

Or at least by one who is holding one.:lol:

I am suddenly reminded of the great quote in your forum signature. Truer words were never spoken.

This is my other favorite profound quote of his. When asked what time it was by Joe DiMaggio, Yogi answered "What? You mean now?" :lol:

Looking back, I see now I have completely and utterly abandoned the original OP and fully hijacked this thread. Of course the original topic appears to have run it's course some time ago indeed. I gonna go now.

deres would seem to be a happy camper, globally friendly dim style in hand. :)

Lest we forget he was the one who got us started down this guitar/luthier tool inspired detour in post #11.

Personally I am grateful for the distraction, and opportunity to enjoy your great sense of humor. :beer:

deres would seem to be a happy camper, globally friendly dim style in hand. :)

Lest we forget he was the one who got us started down this guitar/luthier tool inspired detour in post #11.

Personally I am grateful for the distraction, and opportunity to enjoy your great sense of humor. :beer:

Nope, I think it was YOUR fault.;)

Thank you very much, the experience is mutual.

Looking back, I see now I have completely and utterly abandoned the original OP and fully hijacked this thread. Of course the original topic appears to have run it's course some time ago indeed. I gonna go now.

Oh, please, continue this great guitar thread! I enjoy it too!

Oh, please, continue this great guitar thread! I enjoy it too!

Thanks. I am trying to find time to compile some photo's and things to start a chat thread on hobbies. Sooner or later the mods will chastize me and send the guitar parts off to chat anyway.

I know there have been a few in the past, but they have all died from lack of participation. Maybe what they need is a little competition up front, a bar to raise, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...