text help

i work for a large semiconductor plant in the us whose base is in japan. so alot of our drawings come from japan. the font they are using is getting lost in translation i think. when it comes in my autocad substitutes all the text for something called simtxt.shx. the regular text comes through just fine but for some reason they used special %% text modifiers to make stacked fractions and these "stacked fractions show up as random stuff like ? marks and diamater symbols.

i tried to do a find comand and it wont find either the %% code or the symbol shown on the screen

this is a problem on approximently 8000 drawings

no not really im not even 100 percent sure thats whats really happened. and i have no idea where they came from.

this company is a mess they have not had a cad moderator for about 10 years or any policy for document control. so for the engineers just post whatever they want to the server and its hard to tell what is conceptual what came from japan and what is actualy a real drawing throw on top of that the fact that half the time nobody asbuilt their projects so the drawings i get dont have all the information and its my job to verify whats there and whats not and add whats new

but the problem with the text is consistant throughout all the drawings

it may be that you have an old version of the font which has 127 characters defined while the drawings have been done with a 256 character set. I had this recently where a Russian drawing was good on all machines except mine. I had the original simplex.shx font while everybody else had a newer one.

I would change the font defined in the style for one known to have a full character set - something like ariel.ttf should do. If the ???? disappear give me a pat on the head, if they don't at least it was an easy test.

• 2 weeks later...

How are they sending the file?

Is it being done though a zip-file? or e-transmit though AutoCAD?

Because ive had some experience of people sending me files and text not being right unless they did the above or I would have the same problem you have.

not sure every thing is done on a server so

we have a folder with all the xrefs and a folder for all the drawings

we copy all the drawings and xrefs from the server onto our hard drive and repath all the xrefs to the ones on our machine and work off those.

thanks dave for your help.

bassicly i ran out of time to try and figure out how to do something globally. your coment about the font set got me thinking and i ended up going into each line of affected text and entering a unicode for stacked fractions over the top of the %%code. didnt take too long. i still think their is a way to do it but i cant figure it out .

omg so i feel sooooo stupid.

there was a folder on the server labled what else acad fonts

i had not copied the font from the server into my autocad font file on my hard drive. once i did this all the wierd symbols went away and it stoped substituting simplex for the font.

cant belive how "easy" that fix was, the good news is i dont have to fix 8000 drawings

omg so i feel sooooo stupid.

there was a folder on the server labled what else acad fonts

i had not copied the font from the server into my autocad font file on my hard drive. once i did this all the wierd symbols went away and it stoped substituting simplex for the font.

cant belive how "easy" that fix was, the good news is i dont have to fix 8000 drawings

At least you fixed the problem. Good to hear.

Maybe this thread will save someone else the same mistake. Maybe even me.