making a 3d stencil with 200um holes

pleasehelp

Buttered or white cheddar?

Can't wait for the sequel Revenge of PressPull. I think it is going to be shot in Toyko.

White or new york cheddar for me, either way. There used to be a place near the Dakota on the upper west side, Amsterdam I think, Pug Brothers ....... sinfully decadent and cheese laden, the best I've ever had. :)

To hear nestly tell it, the sequel is going to play rather more like a Warhol film, better get a hell of a lot of that popcorn, and a case of beer! :beer:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• pleasehelp

• nestly

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3D_Disk.jpg

From upper left to lower right.

2D preliminary layout

2D quarter

3D quarter after using EXTRUDE & SUBTRACT commands

3D half after using Mirror command

3D full after using Mirror command

3D solid model after using UNION command

Popcorn is extra.

so.. i tried to make a quarter circle with the circles arrayed, and make it a 'region', extrude the quarter-disk. Then i started subtracting all the circles a few circles at a time. now i seem to have reached a max threshold and i can't subtract any more. does anyone know what the max number of subtractions allowed in autocad?

but THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help!!!

I know of no such limitation. You shouldn't be having any problems using AutoCAD 2012 because that's the program I used. Maybe your procedure is flawed.

If you want to use the REGION command then do the subtraction while everything is 2D but AFTER running REGION. It should work with no problem. Then you do the EXTRUDE next. Done.

What are the specs on your computer? Is it a laptop by any chance?

yes it is a laptop. its a macbook pro. the memory is 4gb, the processor is 2.54ghz. its a few years old.. is it tough to design on laptops?

Depends. Many laptop buyers make the mistake of buying a laptop with an onboard graphics chip rather than a dedicated graphics card. The problem is when the graphics chip gets overwhelmed it starts to borrow resources from main memory (your RAM) and suddenly performance starts to suffer.

In response to the question about the maximum number of subtractions, which I also raised in the other thread The answer seems to be "Yes" (or at least "maybe")

When Solid History is turned on (SOLIDHIST=1) I could not even subtract 1/4th of the total number of small cylinders in a single operation. The more holes I put in the disc, the fewer subtractions I could do without AutoCAD complaining. By the time I got down to the end, I could only subtract 5 or 6 small cylinders at once. However, I was able to subtract all 1650 small cylinders from the complete disc as single operation after recreating everything with SOLIDHIST = 0 (OFF)

In response to the question about the maximum number of subtractions, which I also raised in the other thread The answer seems to be "Yes" (or at least "maybe")

When Solid History is turned on (SOLIDHIST=1) I could not even subtract 1/4th of the total number of small cylinders in a single operation. The more holes I put in the disc, the fewer subtractions I could do without AutoCAD complaining. By the time I got down to the end, I could only subtract 5 or 6 small cylinders at once. However, I was able to subtract all 1650 small cylinders from the complete disc as single operation after recreating everything with SOLIDHIST = 0 (OFF)

thanks!! how do i turn solidhist off?

I got it to work by doing everything in 2D, then EXTRUDEing everything at once, then SUBTRACTing the small cylinders in "chunks" (AutoCAD complained if I tried to do to many at once see below) I have no idea what at "brep" is?

It does seem to take a fair amount of horsepower (although the computer I did this on isn't a exactly a powerhouse.)

SUBTRACT Select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract from ..

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

The maximum number of history nodes in a solid would be exceeded.
You may want to convert the solid to a brep.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35358[/ATTACH]

Nesty, this is AWESOME!! I can't seem to get it though.. i tried attaching the file that i have so far, but its over the permitted limit.

Type SOLIDHIST at the command line. 0 = OFF Disabling SOLIDHIST does not remove history from existing solids, it only means there will be no history recorded for new solids.

Type SOLIDHIST at the command line. 0 = OFF Disabling SOLIDHIST does not remove history from existing solids, it only means there will be no history recorded for new solids.

hi

turned off solidhist. getting this error:

"The maximum number of history nodes in a solid would be exceeded.

You may want to convert the solid to a brep."

hi

turned off solidhist. getting this error:

"The maximum number of history nodes in a solid would be exceeded.

You may want to convert the solid to a brep."

got it! done and done!!

Thank you EVERYONE for all the help!!!! mad respect!! :)

Yeah, I know. I was going to upload just the Region with 1650 holes in the 30 dia circle, but even that is twice as big as the upload limit permits.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35366[/ATTACH]

From upper left to lower right.

2D preliminary layout

2D quarter

3D quarter after using EXTRUDE & SUBTRACT commands

3D half after using Mirror command

3D full after using Mirror command

3D solid model after using UNION command

Popcorn is extra.

ReMark, nice graphic and methodical approach, but what happens when a hole falls on one of the quadrant lines, if it isn't dead center?

I believe that where you stitch it together you will run into spacing problems too, between hole centers on adjacent quadrants. :)