Urgent help Dimension Stretch when move or copy drawing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What object do you want me to move?

I can get the objects with their corresponding dimensions to move IF I disable overlapping extension lines from adjacent dimensions. For example, if I turn off the extension lines for the dimension "EQ" I can move the objects with the "1200" dimension and have no problems.

The drawing is not one of the better examples of CAD drafting I have seen. There are some problems with the way it was done.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadabKhan

• ReMark

• nestly

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might not have another chance to review your drawing so let me tell you some of the things I found wrong with it after a cursory look.

Lines overlap or extend beyond the point of intersection with other lines.

Nodes for some dimensions fall well into some linework as opposed to being at an intersection.

Some extension lines overlap the dimensioned geometry.

Does not appear to be any use of polylines or blocks in the creation of repetitive objects.

Dimension text size is overly large and in some cases interferes with extension lines.

Dimensions show drawn over text used as callouts.

Some leaders extend beyond the objects they are supposed to be pointing to.

The scale of the earth hatch pattern is overly large.

The notes above the title block have punctuation and spelling errors.

None of this bodes well for the company that did the drawing. If they are this sloppy when creating a drawing how accurate can we assume it to be?

If someone in my firm turned out work of this quality they would be fired.

I might not have another chance to review your drawing so let me tell you some of the things I found wrong with it after a cursory look.

Lines overlap or extend beyond the point of intersection with other lines.

Nodes for some dimensions fall well into some linework as opposed to being at an intersection.

Some extension lines overlap the dimensioned geometry.

Does not appear to be any use of polylines or blocks in the creation of repetitive objects.

Dimension text size is overly large and in some cases interferes with extension lines.

Dimensions show drawn over text used as callouts.

Some leaders extend beyond the objects they are supposed to be pointing to.

The scale of the earth hatch pattern is overly large.

The notes above the title block have punctuation and spelling errors.

None of this bodes well for the company that did the drawing. If they are this sloppy when creating a drawing how accurate can we assume it to be?

If someone in my firm turned out work of this quality they would be fired.

Hi ReMark,

I got this drawing from my client he i have told him same which u said but client never blame on his work they are blaming AutoCAD 2013.

we are reseller so give all the technical support in all kind of work what they have done.

same situation with this client he doesn't want to redraw this drawing and only want some solution.

I did move one portion of the drawing then i saw dim stretch i said to him that he will re - create dimension style with new values and delete all overlap objects.

but he blaming to AutoCAD 2013

He can blame AutoCAD all he wants but the simple fact is somebody did some sloppy work.

If he turns off the extension lines for every dimension that has "EQ" as its text that will alleviate most of the problems when it comes to moving or stretching objects. The dimensions should then follow the geometry and the extension lines should not stretch out.

In my opinion, the best thing that could happen to your client is they do not get the contract solely on the basis of the poor workmanship displayed in the drawing. Mistakes like that should not be tolerated by management and if they are then it reflects poorly on the company as a whole and word will spread. Their reputation will suffer as a result.

I agree with ReMark that the dimensions were not placed properly. In many cases, at least one end is snapped to a node or an extension line of another dimension. Such dimensions will not move with the object because only one end of the dimension is "attached" to the object, therefore it is stretched instead.

HOWEVER, it "may" indeed also be related to 2013 because in AutoCAD2012 and earlier, there was only two Associativity classifications for dimensions; Associative or non-Associative. 2013 now (properly) classifies such dimensions as having "Partial" Associativity, and there is some evidence that these new "Partial" associative dimensions can go crazy when the object they are "partially" associated with gets moved.

Even if I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the dimensions re: associativity the drawing still needs work. As a design company they should adhere to better standards. If the drawing was a book I'd say judging by the cover it wouldn't be a good read. My personal opinion. Feel free to give them a pass.

• 9 months later...

I think I am having the same problem originally described on this thread. I'm new around here so I'm not sure if I should chime in here with my problem or start a new question but here goes:

My client sent me an as-built prepared by someone else, of a building plan that I am going to remodel. I wanted to set the corner of the building at 0,0. When I moved it, using ctrl-a to select all, and making sure that all layers were on and thawed, the dimensions became wildly disassociated from the lines on the plan, and in many cases flung themselves far out into space around the building.

When I first open the file (I copied it out of the zip folder again to check this) it says it "is a trusted DWG created by an AutoDesk application" and it is a 2004 AutoCAD file. I am using AutoCAD LT 2013.

Also, I discovered that if I copy the whole thing, it will behave properly. If I rotate, it goes haywire. So, I have copied it into place for now but would like to understand what's going on and correct the behavior.

I have tried to attach a screenshot but am having trouble with the image uploader. It wants the url of my image and won't let me select a file from my computer. Is that a newbie restriction?

Thanks for any help. This seems like a great forum.

I think I am having the same problem originally described on this thread. I'm new around here so I'm not sure if I should chime in here with my problem or start a new question but here goes:

My client sent me an as-built prepared by someone else, of a building plan that I am going to remodel. I wanted to set the corner of the building at 0,0. When I moved it, using ctrl-a to select all, and making sure that all layers were on and thawed, the dimensions became wildly disassociated from the lines on the plan, and in many cases flung themselves far out into space around the building.

When I first open the file (I copied it out of the zip folder again to check this) it says it "is a trusted DWG created by an AutoDesk application" and it is a 2004 AutoCAD file. I am using AutoCAD LT 2013.

Also, I discovered that if I copy the whole thing, it will behave properly. If I rotate, it goes haywire. So, I have copied it into place for now but would like to understand what's going on and correct the behavior.

I have tried to attach a screenshot but am having trouble with the image uploader. It wants the url of my image and won't let me select a file from my computer. Is that a newbie restriction?

Thanks for any help. This seems like a great forum.

I can go part way for you. Yes, it would probably have been better to start a new thread, it makes it easier to get noticed, but since we're here....

Yes it is a great forum. Welcome to the gang. You'll like it here.

You need to "Go Advanced" to get the attachment manager to work properly, the button at the bottom right of the post window. Once you are in the advanced post, click the paper clip and a dialog will open. Click the Add Files button, Click Choose File, then a nav window opens. Select your file. then click the upload button. Once it has uploaded, click Done. You can now preview or post your text and image. I posted a picture of a feral Manx cat that has taken a shine to my wife and I to make sure I had the procedure in the proper order.

As far as the dimensions go, early releases, as new as 2010, have had trouble with dimensions having one node or more lose its association, especially in the move command, but you may not see it happen until you hit the zoom wheel or pan around some. In fact, sometimes they don't get associated at all. It looks to me when I see it, that one end of the dimension remembers where it came from before it was moved or copied, and the other end remembers where it was moved or copied to. Unfortunately, when a dimension spreads out like that, the dimension line will land half way between the two nodes so you can't easily tell where it came from.

I don't know of any cure for it. I normally just delete the whacky stuff and re-dimension the missing ones.

Wait, here's something that might help, might not. I just found it behind the help key. :shock:

Copied from Help: You may need to use DIMREGEN to update associative dimensions after panning or zooming with a wheel mouse, after opening a drawing that was modified with an earlier release, or after opening a drawing with external references that have been modified.

There is a command that will re-associate a dimension, dimreassociate I don't know exactly what it does, I just now found it too, and I have not tried it. Maybe you could look it up and see if it helps you. I don't have an instance handy right now to test it on although I have had as many as 15 dimensions fly off all over the place at once, in one particular drawing I have had to do a LOT of changes in.

Anyway, good luck with those errant drawings, and enjoy Max's picture. He and my Pit Bull, Daisy love each other.

IMG_1469.jpg