Weight per meter for Alum Extrusion

anilanand

The MASSPROP command tells me this thing has an area of 0.785 square meter. I can run MASSPROP on it and get some information but how would one determine how much weight for aluminum would be involved with this and how could I calculate?

I want to know the weight of extrusion in kg/m.

and also show how?al ex.dwg

You will need to multiply the said profile area with the length of the profile to get the volume - presuming that the profile is straight; next multiply again with the density of wanted material. Please pay attention to consistency of measuring units.

For a curved profile, just model it in 3D and apply again MASSPROP command to get the volume.

Based on a density of 2.70 g·cm−3 :

I’m getting about 2.12 kg per meter of extrusion.

By the way, 785.3803 square mm should be 0.000785 square meters.

You can find the density of Aluminium in imperial units (you stated inches in first post) here; but please pay attention that this is for pure material - for alloys may be different.

thanks

2.70 g·cm−3=2700 kg/m-3

is this is ryt?

Based on a density of 2.70 g·cm−3 :

I’m getting about 2.12 kg per meter of extrusion.

By the way, 785.3803 square mm should be 0.000785 square meters.

If you are not using LT, I can point you to a very good lisp that I use.

Can be found on this thread: -

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?50384-Calculating-weight-of-2d-shape-amp-3dsolid-object-by-asigned-material&highlight=calcwt

I use a density of 2.71 g/cm^3 for aluminium extrusions.

Densities of other materials can be added within the lisp.

Welcome to the forum. :)

The MASSPROP command is used with 3D solids, and units reported are volumetric (cubic), not area.

Should you want to PRESSPULL a profile defining group of lines to a length of 1000 (mms = 1 meter) you could then use the MASSPROP command on the resultant 3D solid object,

and in that way you would get a reasonably accurate kg/m weight of a given profile.

If I am not mistaken the MASSPROP command will provide you the volume in cubic mms, if working on a metric template.

You can move the decimal point to the left by nine decimal places, effectively dividing it by 1,000,000,000 (1000 x 1000 x 1000) to convert the units of volume from

cubic millimeters to cubic meters.

Having done that you can multiply it by 2700 (the nominal weight of a cubic meter of aluminum).

Of course you could alternately multiply the MASSPROP volume by .000002700 kgs, which would be a nominal cubic millimeter weight.

Edited by Dadgad

If you are not using LT, I can point you to a very good lisp that I use.

Can be found on this thread: -

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?50384-Calculating-weight-of-2d-shape-amp-3dsolid-object-by-asigned-material&highlight=calcwt

I use a density of 2.71 g/cm^3 for aluminium extrusions.

Densities of other materials can be added within the lisp.

As a footnote.....The lisp(s) on this thread can also be adapted to calculate the actual weight of any single 3D solid.