AutoCad 3D Models and Exporting them to 3D Max Design

RSgraphics

Hello all,

I'm running into roadblocks trying to figure this out.

Basically, I know Autocad pretty well. I build my 3D Models in Autocad as it is easier than using 3D Max.

My plan is to then, export the 3D Autocad files to 3D Max Design for rendering. Here are some issues i run into.

When i draw a simple DVD Disk (basically a circle with a little extrusion) in Autocad, then import it to 3D Max Design, the circle looks like its made up of just a handful of polygons. It doesn't appear as a smooth curve anymore.

Can I please get some advice on importing 3D Autocad models into 3D Max Design? It's really getting me down at this point.

Thanks in advance.

When I Import CAD models to Studio Max, in the "Import Options" dialog, I set "Curve Steps" to 20 and "Maximum Surface Deviation for 3D Solids" to 0.01".

Import.jpg

Thanks for the thousandth time Cad64 :)

To whom may stumble upon this post, remember Cad64, this moderator is extremely knowledgable and helpful!

Thanks for the kind words, and you're welcome. :)

I don't know how much longer I'll be able to answer Studio Max questions though. I won't have access to Max for much longer, since it belongs to the company I used to work for. I can't afford it on my own, so I'm moving over to Modo. I'm in the process of learning it right now, following tutorials and asking questions online, just like you are for Max. So I'm back to beginner level again. Luckily Modo is a lot like Max, and it's very easy to learn.

So anyway, if you've got Studio Max questions, you better ask them now. Before my memory starts fading. :lol:

I'd like to learn something easier.

BUT, 3D Max is compatible with AfterEffects, which allows me to work on motion graphics projects too.

I hear architects are starting to use Revit. Im not sure what that replaces, Autocad or 3dMax. I think it might replace BOTH. So many different combinations of software. I hope I'm choosing the right one.

Yeah, I don't know much about Revit. I only know the programs I need to know. But if you feel Studio Max is the program you need to learn, then dive in and start learning. Just be prepared for the learning curve, because it is steep. :cry:

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I don't know much about Revit. I only know the programs I need to know. But if you feel Studio Max is the program you need to learn, then dive in and start learning. Just be prepared for the learning curve, because it is steep. :cry:

cad64....

where will should i put my first step in learning 3ds max? i have the cd tutorial but the version in the cd is version 9, i have is the max 1012...

and im a little bit confused.

.... is it necessarry to add a plug-in like v-ray to come up with a nice rendering or the program can do it alone?

thanks again....

its awesome......

hope im not taking this easy but how can i scale up the materials.... like thw wood. from the import cad file...(no materials yet) when.i apply materials., its just only brown, i cant find the scaale ratio box.????

thanks again.

amazing....thanks.... though its a little bit tricky.because im.using the latest version yet the tutorial was in later edition of max..

atleast i have the idea now.

cheers...