A "Today" Lisp?

Silvercloak

I really miss the "Today" feature in AutoCAD 2002 which got wiped out ages ago. It was perfect for keeping tabs on what drawings I had opened on a particular date. Especially if I was doing timesheets and I had forgotten to make a note of what job I was working on in my daytimer.

The "history" function that AutoCAD has provided us is... crap. crap crap crap.

It only shows the most recent instance of when I opened a particular drawing. Which is absolutely useless if I want to figure out what I was working on, say June 21st, because I've opened most of those drawings again just yesterday.

Is there a lisp program that can keep a log of what drawings I've opened on a particular day? I would LOVE to have "Today" come back, but I'm pretty sure that might be difficult to achieve.

AT least if I had a logging program that kept track of every drawing I work in every day - that would help some.

Silvercloak

You can try to place this code into AcadDoc.lsp file - it will log all files opened on your workstation.

(setq theDate (rtos (getvar "CDATE") 2 10)
     theDate (strcat (substr theDate 1 4) "." (substr theDate 5 2) "." (substr theDate 7 2) " "
                     (substr theDate 10 2) ":" (substr theDate 12 2)))
(setq fileStream (open "C:\\AutoCAD.log" "a"))
(write-line (strcat theDate " - " (getvar "DWGPREFIX") (getvar "DWGNAME")) fileStream)
(setq fileStream (close fileStream))

Is also possible record saving/close operation or editing time, but this will require some extra coding.

Like above you could edit the Close command on your Acad menu to run (closelisp) Close

(closelisp) is code above as a defun

Using CUI the Close in menu is ^c^c_close now becomes ^c^c(closelisp) _close

(defun c:closelisp ()
(setq theDate (rtos (getvar "CDATE") 2 10)
     theDate (strcat (substr theDate 1 4) "." (substr theDate 5 2) "." (substr theDate 7 2) " "
                     (substr theDate 10 2) ":" (substr theDate 12 2)))
(setq fileStream (open "C:\\AutoCAD.log" "a"))
(write-line (strcat theDate " - " (getvar "DWGPREFIX") (getvar "DWGNAME")) fileStream)
(setq fileStream (close fileStream))
)
(closelisp)

BIGAL, if you don't mind, I have only one correction; the button's macro should be

^c^c([color=red]c:[/color]closelisp) _close

since you defined that as a command, not as a function.

Thanks Msasu did not test just as a general suggestion of how to do it, I would do this as auto reactor but that would just confuse post for a pretty simple task. Using reactors could do a lot more I know I downloaded a lisp from here about what a user actually did once in a dwg.

Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone here. I've been swamped at home with summer stuff. I'll give your suggestions a shot!

Had a great discussion about this product with one of (or the) creator of this over at AUGI (nice guy too):

http://www.cadtempo.com/

Thank you for the mention RenderMan, and the kind words. I appreciate hearing different viewpoints on the subject and that discussion prompted me to write a blog post here: http://cadtempo.blogspot.com/2012/03/cad-time-tacking-management-or.html

PS: The duhvinci moniker used at AUGI is me - I tried to change it to my name at one point but it never went through.

Thank you for the mention RenderMan, and the kind words. I appreciate hearing different viewpoints on the subject and that discussion prompted me to write a blog post here: http://cadtempo.blogspot.com/2012/03/cad-time-tacking-management-or.html

PS: The duhvinci moniker used at AUGI is me - I tried to change it to my name at one point but it never went through.

You're welcome, Patrick.

I recognized the avatar, but wasn't sure... a while ago I saw a member using my old 'cad monkey' pic (it's not really mine, of course, I just searched the interwebs for a neat pic!). LoL

For those that may be interested, here's a link to the multi-page thread I mentioned above... Many interesting viewpoints on this topic discussed.

:beer:

Or the Dorkness changed it back, she is tricky like that.

Or the Dorkness changed it back, she is tricky like that.

That is certainly within the realm of possibility. She would have plenty of reasons to reciprocate the torment I put her through.