Which Design Software will be best for me?

Julesh

Hello I am an Interior Designer in Australia. I am finding more of my clients who are building are asking for:

A 3D design of their front elevations

And 3D designs of some of their rooms including the kitchen and bathroom.

Can you suggest which type of software would be best to use to get a professional look for these 3D drawings?

The ones I have looked at either do a lot more than I need or only do interiors.

I also have the issue that I use a MacBook Pro. I am prepared to use Bootcamp or Parallels but I have heard that can cause problems with the reliability of the software.

TIA for you advice.

Hi f700es I have used basic software for the home builder or renovator. The latest one was Microspot for Macs.

I have time to learn something new and more complex.

I just don't want to spend $1000's or to have to buy a Windows computer.

But I want to get a professional look.

Autocad Lt looked good except it doesn't seem to do 3D drawings.

Any specific programs you could suggest?

Well if LT would work for the 2D stuff then have a go with DraftSight. It is an LT clone and there is an OSX version. You should also look at SketchUp too. You have to use the pro version to get dwg support though but there is a way around that ;)

Thanks I will have a look at DraftSight.

I looked at the galleries in Sketchup under Architecture. The images didn't have that realistic quality that AutoCad does. Am I wrong and looking in the wrong section?

Wow are those images that look like scenery done in SketchUp? They are amazing.

Draftsight says it is only does 2D - is that right?

So then Sketchup looks the best.

I'm not a computer person at all so excuse my ignorance. I gather dwg is the way these autocad files are saved. When you say "You have to use the pro version to get dwg support" - what happens if I don't have the pro version or a way to get around it? What will I not be able to do?

Thanks so much for your help:)

Oh no, the landscapes are photos. The architecture and millwork are SU images. Without the current pro SU you can't import dwg files. Now you can install the previous version and an add on for dwg import and then open the current version. This will allow you to use the current free version with dwgs.

Lol how silly of me:oops:

I love the kitchen one.

Have you used any rendering programs with Sketchup?

Thanks for the info about the dwg files

Wow kerkythea is fantastic:).

Thanks for all your help. I have decided SketchUp is a great place to start. I am moving o/s later this year and will have lots of spare time. So I will get into it then. I am sure I will be back later with questions.:)