Viewport Rotation

jgbgod

MEP 2013

Are there any commands other than DVIEW that allow you to rotate your model space ONLY in the active viewport?

Thanks.

From your AutoCAD Help file.

You can rotate an entire view within a layout viewport with the VPROTATEASSOC system variable.

When VPROTATEASSOC is set to 1, the view within a viewport is rotated with the viewport. When VPROTATEASSOC is set to 0, the view remains when the viewport is rotated.

Or...

You can also rotate an entire view within a layout viewport by changing the UCS and using the PLAN command.

Not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks though

I think there are only three ways so what exactly are you trying to do that dview, ucs, or rotate vp won't do for you?

Make sure your viewport is active and unlocked. Type mvsetup > Align > Rotate view > then click a couple of points, depending on the rotation you are wanting. This is what I do when I want to rotate model space in certain viewports.

MEP 2013

Are there any commands other than DVIEW that allow you to rotate your model space ONLY in the active viewport?

Thanks.

Is DVIEW command only applicable to 3D objects?

Is there any usage in 2D?

Dview is about setting a camera view- I cant imagine anyway it would be applicable in 2D....

It is very much applicable in 2D.

I've used the twist option many times to change the view of model space.

Could you please explain a little more about what do you do with this command in 2D?

I suspect that what robdraw means is that it CAN be used in modelspace with a 2D drawing, although I confess that I am unclear why one might choose to do so.

It is much more useful for 3D perspectives of 3D objects.

Views cannot be applied in layout space other than the default plan or TOP.

Could you please explain a little more about what do you do with this command in 2D?

Exactly what the OP said and in model space to say align a building or part of a building with my view.

The Dview feature was able to complete the job. The first few attempts was crashing my software for whatever reason... I ended up rebooting my pc, my ram usage was out of control.

Normally, ill set the ucs to the desired location, then click the "top" button on the viewcube. Generally it orients the drawing exactly how i anticipate.

If you rotate any object in model space, it will rotate to the same orientation in EVERY viewport. DVIEW only moves the "camera" angle within that viewport.

Comes in handy when you have light rail train tracks winding through downtown city streets. ^_^

Edited by jgbgod

Dview is about setting a camera view- I cant imagine anyway it would be applicable in 2D....

Actually, I only use DVIEW with 2D. The best way to manipulate a 3D object is to click the scrolling wheel, and hold shift.