Custom Menu on ACAD Main Opening Screen

Brenda Tanner

Thanks to all the great help I have received here the custom menus I've been working on are a big hit with *most* of the users. Thanks again.

I notice that when you first open AutoCAD, and there is no drawing file opened, even a blank one... the menu I created disappears. That is there are only the three built-in choices (File) (Window) and (Help). When we open a drawing file the remaining top menu items show up including the new custom menu we added.

Is there a way to have this new custom menu show up in both instances, not just when you have a drawing opened?

I don't think it is possible - the menus items visible when no drawing in editor are the only ones that have meaning in that situation.

This is not exactly what you are after, but might be a suitable work around.

If you open a blank template in whichever measurement system is appropriate (Imperial or Metric)

you can save that as Blank Metric, New Metric or whatever you want, and set that as your default template

for startup. In that way the application will default to a pristine blank drawing in the preferred units

of measure, and you will have all of the buttons show up too. If you wanted to you could also write and

save an instructional dialog in this template, advising the proper steps to take to conform to the

standard operating procedures. :)