User's machine keeps crashing when using Autocad 2009 mechanical

Proctor

Hello: I have a user who's machine keeps crashing when they are in autocad.

It doesn't seem to be any one paticular thing they are doing so having a hard time pinpointing it. It happens approx 3 times per day.

I wanted to know, is there a report or anyway to find out when it crashes, what the last X number of commands were before crashing?

Thanks,

Proctor

What good will it do you if it is random and not one particular thing?

When did the problem first occur? Has Mech 2009 ever functioned without a problem previously?

What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks for your reply:

I'm discussing the questions you brought up with the user right now.....

The user says it's always happened since he's been using this computer. (he's a fairly new employee)

The user says it's happening mostly when they do a File-Open.

he says he usually doesn't have any other files open at this time, but sometimes he might have a few. Either way, he says it keeps crashing at this time.

Do you know why this might be?

He did also say that one time it seemed like he was entering several commands and hitting escape alot when it crashed.

Do you know if autocad can get overloaded when entering in commands?

oh, also, our administrator here at work has ran several patches. I can find out which ones if that would help.

Thanks again,

Proctor

What patches? For AutoCAD Mech 2009?

I don't think AutoCAD can get overloaded when entering commands although I do believe if commands are entered incorrectly (and this would be via the keyboard) it might lock up.

Is this a "new" user by any chance?

Try looking at the Event Log with the Event Viewer. There are also 3rd party apps that can view minidumps created from program crash.

Usually, if file-open or qsave etc. causes the crash, it is a .NET issue.

Yes, this is a new user. The admin installed all the latest service packs. There might be a .net app associated with it and that gave me an idea to look and see. It's also good to know about the event log. What's the even viewer?

I'll be in touch. Thanks for your ideas.

Proctor

The Event Viewer is for Viewing the Event Log.

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.* 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41.png If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.